50th Anniversary Blackhawks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rmc25

Single-Sixer
I'm planning on putting my Anniversary 357 and 44 3 digits up for sale early next year and i am planning to ask for a modest premium. They may form an instant collection for someone interested in the Anniversary editions. They are consecutively numbered sets and I will only sell as the complete 4 revolver package. If they don't sell it's no problem. They'll go back into storage for my grandson.
rmc

hittman

Staff member
No premium. They made a gazillion of them. Think they were even on a special "close out" through CDNN when Ruger had a bunch left over.

Prior to the current pandemic pricing ….. real world actual selling prices around here were in the $400 - $450 range new in box.

If you search completed auctions on Gunbroker you'll see them being offered today in the $500 range with no reserve. Some have brought that while a few others brought in the $650 range each. I think that price increase is due more to the current politics rather than any perceived collectibility of the item.

G2

Hunter
For the longest time they were cheeeep.
It seems now with the pandemic/ JB inflation, there somewhat stronger.
They are/were some of the best NM flattops built, seemed like they gave them a little extra love.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Whether they bring a premium or not, both of mine, one of each, are excellent shooters. I especially like the .357 as its steel frame soaks up heavy recoil from full house magnum loads...both guns are very accurate as well...sub-2" groups at 25 yds are no trick, even with 75 yo eyes doing the 'steering'. YMMv Rod.....pic below of my .357 with some home made grips.

Rclark

Hunter
I got my .44 Magnum 50th back when for $400 from CDNN back when. Good shooter. Goto revolver for shooting .44 Magnum.

Picked up the .357 50th as well back when, but I like the 5 1/2" barrelled .357 flattop I have now a lot more, so the 50th .357 sits in the safe.

Doubt there is much premium involved other than the inflation due to current political environment....

Higher prices are a result of low supply, and high demand. The problem is Ruger produced way beyond even their expectations. Anyone at the time that wanted one got one, or two, or even three maybe hoping the price would go up. The one's that I've seen for sale sold cheaper than the standard blackhawk. To me that's a sad situation.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I have one in 44 Mag. Love that revolver. But mine had to be sent back to Ruger as soon as I received it. The rear sight had to be adjusted all the way to the right due to barrel being canted. Ruger was nice and paid for it all. Several of these revolvers from what I understand have canted barrel even the Single Six anniversary model I bought had canted barrel. I sold that because I just did not want to mess with another one.

The Blackhawk at the time came with several different upgrades. I like that it has a cylinder that lines up with the loading port when you eject cases and load as the old Colts were designed to due. I like the steel grip frame and the smaller frame size of the flattop. Just an all around great revolver.

Rclark

Hunter
...smaller frame size of the flattop {.44 Mag }. Just an all around great revolver.
Remember the .44 Mag has the same 'large' cylinder frame and cylinder as the normal BH/SBH. Just has a 'flat top'. The grip frame (XR-3) is a bit smaller though if that is what you were referring to. I had to replace my steel ejector housing with an alloy one, as mine kept flying off and bending the hold down screw. No problem now.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I think I've been told that before but for some reason I have it in my mind the frame it's self is smaller. Once in there it's hard to get it out. But thank you. Did you ever Loctite that ejector housing screw. I usually replace all mine with steel ejector housing anyway. never had a problem as of yet.

Rclark

Hunter
I did use Loctite. Nothing seemed to work. So swapped out for the alloy housing and no problem since. My feeling is the steel ejector housing wasn't letting the screw fully seat. Might try another one at some point just to see ... as I do like the steel better... Sometime!

The key to remember is ALL Ruger Single Action .44 Magnum revolvers are on the large frame regardless of all the different models produced since 1956.