SSM4FSI Model 06511 32HRM Baby Vaquero question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

edwardyoung

Single-Sixer
I just traded into this 2002 32 Single Six. I've got $550 in the gun and some ammo. Maybe too much, but I've kind-of been intrigued by them since they came out. While waiting the several days between when I made the deal and actually met up with the guy, I did a little internet searching to find out a little more about them. Like I read on a thread about them here on RF, value kind-of seems to depend on whether or not the buyer is a 32-guy. I'm probably wrong, but is it possible that only 370 were produced in this configuration? When I picked up this gun, it appeared to be unfired. No cylinder ring. Sorry for the long preamble. If the production is that limited, would an unfired one be worth keeping unfired and trying to find one that has been fired? My original thoughts were to go the Hondo44 route and ream the chambers to 327 for maximum versatility. This is a long, rambling sort-of question to ask, what's it worth and are there collectors who'd appreciate this gun? Or just shoot it and be quiet? Thanks
414457225.jpg

414457223.jpg

414457224.jpg

32magfan

Blackhawk
edwardyoung,

Welcome to the wonderful world of 32 Rugers!! From my handle, you might guess that I like 32's, especially Ruger 32's and 327's. I have one like the one you bought but not NIB, still very nice. If you want to find out about the interest of Ruger collectors, post in the classifieds section at a price you would accept or what you would trade for it. If no one is interested, load that puppy up and have fun!! I have not reamed any of my 32 H&AR guns for 327 because I have numerous 327's to shoot and I also reload.

Have fun with that little shooter but be careful... 32"s can be addictive. :mrgreen:

32Magfan

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Well I picked up a pair of them but they were well used by a CAS shooter so all ready beyond any thoughts of collecting . They have since been modified a lot more into my idea of a dandy shooter. But that's me and I change around almost every single action Ruger that lives here, bit by bit.
I LIKE shooting 32 of all flavors and like 32magfan I have several 327s already so no need or desire to convert. If you reload you can get plenty of horsepower outta a 32 mag.
I never thought of these guns as limited numbers and have had and seen quite a few.
Your gun,,,,,, should you decide to shoot it . Check the size of the grip as some were about a quarter inch shorter and made for female CAS shooters . I believe their numbers ARE kind of low . My current two had the smaller grips and I got rid of them as they did not feel right.
You may find the white grips prone to chipping so maybe put on something else to shoot it. And the Case like colors are delicate and may need clearcoat to preserve . My colors were well worn so I removed them .
Here is one of mine now , a far cry from how it left the factory. Ugly to some but a lot of fun to shoot, and that's the idea. Alloy grip frame , flat bottom grips ,freespun cylinder, a sweet trigger and a little bling. Both got firelapped bores and chamber mouth reaming so now they LOVE cast bullets. The other one got a dovetail front sight for regulation but I don't have a picture.

414426914.jpg
414426913.jpg

Your gun , your call but these little guns can be a lot of fun to shoot once you get them personalized .
Some guns I collect ,,,,, 32s I shoot.

Rclark

Hunter
I have one and shoot it. Grips are for a smaller hand. No biggie with the tiny .32 of course. I'd personally shoot it.... But then I say that about all my revolvers.

contender

Ruger Guru
According to the RENE Guide,, only 352 of this model were produced. If it's ANIB as it appears,, it does have collector value.

edwardyoung

Single-Sixer
Thanks everybody. I'll probably hold off shooting it, for now. I'll take it with me to a few gun shows and see if I run across somebody who's interested. If not, then I'll shoot it.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
contender said:
According to the RENE Guide,, only 352 of this model were produced. If it's ANIB as it appears,, it does have collector value.
What makes this model limited ?
Seems like I've seen a lot of 32 Vaqs. Is it the short grips ,the white grips, the case color , or the short grips or the combination ? I've had at least 4 very similar guns.

contender

Ruger Guru
There are combinations of features that make this one rare. I'll get into the RENE when I get home to detail the features.

JStacy

Blackhawk
Guns originally chambered for 32 mag are generally fun and accurate , I have three of them . I have two 327's on in GP100 and one in SP101. The SSM was proofed for the 32 mag not the 327 . I know the single 7 is in 327 but it is proofed for the 327 . I am just cautious in changing a gun to a higher pressure round that what it was originally chambered for.

pastorp

Bearcat
I have a SSM-4F-S-I model 06511 and a KSSM-4F-s-I model 06512. Both chambered in 32 H&RMag.

I thought these were single sixes, why are you calling them baby Vaqueros ?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Because with no rear sight other than the notch in the frame top like the Vaquero, it's a miniature Vaquero, hence the slang name "Baby Vaquero". In gun circles, 'Baby' is a common term for a smaller version of similar model gun.

Ruger used the name "Vaquerito" in some of it's advertising for this gun.

Because of the caliber, .32 Magnum, Ruger called them Single Six Magnum (SSM) to differentiate them from the Single Six .22s which has the same size cylinder frame.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
edwardyoung said:
I just traded into this 2002 32 Single Six. I've got $550 in the gun and some ammo. Maybe too much, but I've kind-of been intrigued by them since they came out. While waiting the several days between when I made the deal and actually met up with the guy, I did a little internet searching to find out a little more about them. Like I read on a thread about them here on RF, value kind-of seems to depend on whether or not the buyer is a 32-guy. I'm probably wrong, but is it possible that only 370 were produced in this configuration? When I picked up this gun, it appeared to be unfired. No cylinder ring. Sorry for the long preamble. If the production is that limited, would an unfired one be worth keeping unfired and trying to find one that has been fired? My original thoughts were to go the Hondo44 route and ream the chambers to 327 for maximum versatility. This is a long, rambling sort-of question to ask, what's it worth and are there collectors who'd appreciate this gun? Or just shoot it and be quiet? Thanks

That's not a bad price as you describe the gun. More if it has the original box.

Those blue and SS models with the standard length grip size of the single six and Blackhawk were limited production; under 500 each. All the rest had the shorter grip frame which also gave the guns a correct proportion.

Johnnu2

Hunter
In My Humble Opinion, life is way too short to drink cheap wine or to stash stuff away....

I shoot my USFA .32-20 and they don't make'em anymore do they... :))). If I had bought the consecutive pair that they offered me, I'da shot'em both......

YMMV,
J.

Rclark

Hunter
As above ... Life is short. Enjoy the guns you have acquired and for me that means shooting them. I'll let my kids worry about 'value' when I am gone.

I have a baby Vaquero also. Can't see how they can be rare if I have one :) . Picked it up at a gun show if I recall a few years back. It does have the smaller grip frame.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Rclark said:
As above ... Life is short. Enjoy the guns you have acquired and for me that means shooting them. I'll let my kids worry about 'value' when I am gone.

I have a baby Vaquero also. Can't see how they can be rare if I have one :) . Picked it up at a gun show if I recall a few years back. It does have the smaller grip frame.

Yes life is short, don't save 'em for anyone else.

The smaller (shorter) grip frame version is not rare (thousands were made), only those with the standard size grip frame are rare.

Rclark

Hunter
Thanks for the clarification on the standard size grip frame baby Vaqueros.... And don't worry, someday some one else will have all of mine to shoot and enjoy. Pretty hard to wear out a Ruger when you don't abuse them.... And I certainly haven't cornered the market when it comes to sixguns. I still got to get a reamer for my little Vaquero as the throats are not 'right' for shooting cast.

Latest posts