RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:45 pm 
Single-Sixer

Just got a new Ruger NM Blackhawk 357 and immediately cleaned it and went to the range. Could not be happier with how it handles and shoots. Two questions arose when shooting, and cleaning.

1. It is a 4.62" barrel and the base pin does not come completely out of the frame as it is blocked by the ejector rod tip that protrudes from the frame. I have owned several other Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks and a Hunter but the barrels were longer. So I did not encounter this. However, I also own a New Model Vaquero with a similarly short barrel and on it I can remove the base pin entirely. Is this normal for the short barrel NM Blackhawk?

2. I needed to adjust the sights to zero it and the elevation screw moved normally. However, I could not get the windage screw to budge. I have a jeweler's set of screw drivers and to find a blade thin enough for the slot I had to use one not as long as ideal so I did not try to force it, but I did use considerable force without any movement. I put some Kroll's oil on it and will let it sit tonight but is that screw normally very hard to move?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:15 pm 
Blackhawk

Can you remove the cylinder when you move the base pin as far forward as possible? If so, I don't see a problem. When I clean I have no need to remove the base pin; just the cylinder.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:19 pm 
Single-Sixer

Yes, I can remove the cylinder. I can clean it, I just have never encountered this before on a single action.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:24 pm 
Ruger Guru

A lot of the newer , new models the longer head ( extension) of the base pin keeps it from falling out and losing it out in the field....as for the sight windage put a bit of Kroil in the blade slot on top, so the blade can move ( slide) in the slot, it is under spring tension, and the "notches" of of the screw and the point ( edge) of the bottom of the blade, need to be able to rotate ( engage) and go "click" 8) :roll: :wink:

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:37 pm 
Buckeye

Have you tried to move that windage screw in BOTH directions, or only one direction>>>?

I might suggest taking that screw completely out and removing the sight blade just to check and see if the little spring is actually in there and installed correctly...

Just a thought.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:59 pm 
Hawkeye

Longer barrels make no difference; the ejector rods and housings are the same length, except the 10-10 1/2" barrels. It's the length of the pin's front tip that differs..

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:40 pm 
Single-Sixer

Appreciate the help guys. The Kroil worked but I do not like the poor fit I have on the windage screw. Does someone know the specific size of bit I need for a proper fit on this screw? The sets made by Grace for Ruger Single Action revolvers seem to be for the larger screw heads on the revolver, not for one this small.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:07 am 
Buckeye

Perhaps you could try one of those tiny screwdrivers found in the kits to repair eyeglass frames.

I don't know the answer to your question, but IIRC I use the above mentioned tool(s).

J

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:10 pm 
Hawkeye

You won't find screwdrivers marked with the thickness of the blade. My screwdriver modified to fit my Ruger single action windage sight screw is .016" thick by .120" wide. But you won't find screwdrivers labeled with their blades width.

I like to pick up S&W sight adjusting screwdrivers that used to be packed with their target model guns (more currently it was a key chain screwdriver which still work well). You can still find the screwdrivers and key chain variety at gun shows and ebay, etc., fairly cheap around $3.00. You'll see the older ones which are very collectible go for hundreds: ignore those.

Most of the interchangeable tip screwdriver sets, Chapman, Wheeler Engineering, etc., have a tip that will fit the specialized target sight adjustment screws: with narrow slot.

Although on occasion I've still had to modify screwdriver tips to fit certain screws! When i do, that modified screwdriver is dedicated to that gun from then on. The best fitting screwdrivers are those you modify to fit perfectly.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:48 pm 
Single-Sixer

Hondo44 wrote:
My screwdriver modified to fit my Ruger single action windage sight screw is .016" thick by .120" wide.

Just what I needed, thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:21 pm 
Hawkeye

Every Ruger handgun I own that has adjustable sights has had the rear sights replaced by aftermarket sights, mostly Millett and Williams. The factory sights are not up to the quality of the rest of the gun, in my opinion. I'm not saying that the factory sights are bad, just that it's easy and not expensive to upgrade the sights, and you end up realizing more of the accuracy potential of the gun.

My opinion. I could be wrong.

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."
Pres. John F. Kennedy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:48 pm 
Buckeye

My base pin won't remove unless the ejector rod housing is removed.

Just as The Sun Went Down
https://youtu.be/0WLtYgivQsU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:10 pm 
Hawkeye

I was always told the base pin won’t drop free so it doesn’t get lost while shooting. Rugerguy pointed this out.

I do have some guns that the base pin drops free and others that it won’t. I’m not sure which style I prefer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:41 pm 
Hawkeye

The cyl pins with the flange on the exposed tip that sets against the front of the frame are about 1/8" longer and can not be removed.

The earlier and later styles w/o the flange which are 1/8" shorter are removable.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:18 pm 
Single-Sixer

Well, so far I kind of find the base pin being unremovable is a convenience. It just surprised me because I had never seen or heard of that before. My sights are now just fine as well after a Kroil bath. I am very pleased with the revolver after about 400 rounds, mostly 38 but a good number of 357.

I am surprised at the cylinder ring that developed as I am always very careful about closing the gate with a chamber lined up with the barrel. I am reading that this does not necessarily mean poor timing in the case of the Ruger New Models. If that is true I can live with it.

What surprises me most is how good the thing feels in my hand when I shoot it. I shoot one handed and shoot for accuracy out to 20 yards, the limit of my indoor range, and also one handed point shooting up close, and finally shooting fast but with an attempt at accuracy using both hands. The gun felt heavy when I first picked it up at the FFL, but shooting it feels great. This was unexpected because my favorite gun to shoot before this was the smaller and lighter New Vaquero. I expected to enjoy the ability to shoot large numbers of full power Magnum loads with the heavier Blackhawk, and possibly hunt with it, but I did not expect it to be such an enjoyable range gun even with the 38 loads.