LCR 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mikld

Blackhawk
Looked through Revolvers forum but didn't see much on Ruger's LCR in 9mm. Don't know exactly why, but I kinda like the idea and most of the reviews I've read are positive. I just started reloading 9mm about 15 years ago and have 4 pistiols but down deep I'm a revolver guy. I have my name in the hat at a couple vendors for one but don't know how long I'll have to wait. Any 9mm LCR owners wanna talk about their gun?

NVSeabee

Bearcat
I've had one for about 6 years now. It is a great carry gun. The Ruger moon clips are fine for the range but the fingers on them get bent easy and allow rounds to fall out. I use the Speed Beez moon clips for the most part for range and carry. Amazon carries the moon clips. The hardest thing to find was a decent moon clip carrier, don't waste your money on the Ruger ones. Jeffery's Custom Leather makes a really good one that conceals great.http://jeffreycustomleather.com/MoonClip-MagazinePouchsAccessories.html.

Try it you won't be disappointed. The LCR9 is my favorite carry snubbie.

mikld

Blackhawk
Just curious of owner's impressions. I've read about the smooth DA trigger w/no stacking and the overall good, accurate shooting. I have 3 Ruger revolvers and two rifles and do like the quality of even my "cheap" Ruger American in 308 (I've shot a few 7/8" groups with mine)...

9x19

Hunter
I like the LCR line quite a bit, but haven't dropped any money on one of the 9mms.

In the past, I have owned both the Speed Six and SP-101 in 9mm, and was never terribly impressed with their versatility compare to a plain old .38 Special.

In a semi-auto the 9mm is far and away my favorite round. I even like it a good bit in a carbine, or SBR, but in a revolver, I'll stick with the .38 Special, and I own three LCR models chambered for it.

*With that said, IF Ruger were to offer the 3" barrel, adjustable sight, LCRX in 9mm, I just might buy one... :D

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
I owned one but did not keep it long; for two reasons: I found the recoil to be excessive (great difference between shooting an LC9 and LCR 9) as far as recoil.

The second thing And perhaps more importantly, I found that the bullet would jump Especially the fifth round in the cylinder. It never jumped so much that my cylinder got locked up, but the potential to do so was there and it was In my opinion a catastrophe waiting to happen.

NVSeabee

Bearcat
I have not experienced any issues with bullet jump in over 500 rounds fired. The ammo used was a mix of defense loads including +P+ from 115 to 147 gr, factory fmj from S&B, Rem, Fed, Winchester and some commercial reloads. I get that it is a potential problem but not one I have experienced.

Recoil can be stout but I also shoot a S&W 640 and 638 , in comparison the LCR recoil seems less with full house defense loads. The LCR is built on the 357 frame.

The moon clip holders that I use are much less bulky to conceal than the J frame speed loader holders in my experience.

As others have mentioned the LCR trigger action is much better than the J frames.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that the cylinder on the LCR 9 is cut to headspace on the case mouth enabling it to be fed individual rounds if needed due to problems with a moon clip or to reload it from a 9mm magazine. Ejection may have to be done with a pen, pencil or similar type of improvised ejector though.

For me the LCR 9 is a keeper and provides a good companion gun for my 9mm bottom feeders.

buckshotshorty said:
I found that the bullet would jump Especially the fifth round in the cylinder. It never jumped so much that my cylinder got locked up, but the potential to do so was there and it was In my opinion a catastrophe waiting to happen.

Was that with hand loads or factory ammo?

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Admittedly, I shoot mostly hand loads with just enough taper crimp to secure the bullet. But I did take measurements with factory rounds also with similar results.
I wonder how many LCR 9 owners brought a micrometer to the range as I did and actually measured OAL Of each cartridge before as shooting down to the last round.

Stolivar

Bearcat
I have had mine since they first came out. Not once have I ever had any signs of any bullet jumping.

I bought a LCR9mm when they first came out. And this gun has had thousands of rounds down range. And the nonsense about jump crimp is one of the most over the top supposedly Issues you see on the internet. Yes there is some cheap a** ammo that will jump crimp, but you can find out what they are in the first month of shooting. I have not had a crimp jump since that first month. And dang that was years ago
And as far as recoil? Sorry, shoot this gun enough and you find the recoil a non-issue. Not as much as 38 plus P and certainly no where as much as a 357. I love the ballistics with this gun in 9mm. More powerful than the 38 and no where the recoil of the 357. And for sure the ammo is much less expensive. Especially since I own so many 9mm's.
Here is a great review of the LCR9mm. And I love the fact that I can train/practice/Plink with the LCR22. (my Favorite 22.cal)

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2014/11/ruger-lcr-9mm-review-pocket-9mm-for.html

And Paul Harrell on the nonsense of the Crimp jump on these guns. Mine shoots all kinds of ammo, and my reloads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIsy9gg1S58

V3cfVEl.jpg

k22fan

Blackhawk
I have no knowledge of five shot Ruger 9 mm revolvers to contribute, only a quick question. Does the 9 mm LCR use the same full moon clip as the 9 mm SP-101 and does that clip fit a S&W 9 mm J frame?

NVSeabee

Bearcat
k22fan said:
I have no knowledge of five shot Ruger 9 mm revolvers to contribute, only a quick question. Does the 9 mm LCR use the same full moon clip as the 9 mm SP-101 and does that clip fit a S&W 9 mm J frame?

They use a different moon clip. You can find the Ruger brand ones on the Ruger website. TK Customs and 4wheelguns are two good sites for moon clips and related tools. Even Amazon carries moonclips.

Latest posts