Ruger Cylinder for Stainless Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

in_a_silent_way

Bearcat
Am sorting though some parts
Have a question about the origin of a few cylinders I have that i ass-u-me are for a Single Six

first one ...

stainless
22 WMR
6 round
flat face on cartridge head side - no ridge around the edge
fluted
fits a new model SS convertible nicely FWIW

this has three numbers on the bullet side face of the cylinder, as per usual
the numbers are stamped, as with a punch, not hand scribed

i dont recall seeing the numbers stamped, but Ive never had many SS so maybe this is a gaping hole amongst many in my knowledge ?? - perhaps not Ruger at all ??

if Ruger, this would be any early new model version ??

no doubt there are a few here who can school me

TIA

in_a_silent_way

Bearcat
I believe early NM SS WMR cylinders were fluted, but im here to be proven wrong
I wasnt even sure there were old model stainless SS, but now I have since found them
FWIW, I am now a bit more sure this cylinder is for a Ruger OM SS stainless convertible 9 1/2, but again, willing to learn - TIA

To the best of my references, there were no stainless Old Model Single-Sixes.

Early New Models had fluted cylinders.

Later New Models had unfluted cylinders.

There were many 9-1/2" guns with either fluted or unfluted cylinders.

The RENE Reference has extensive coverage of all the variants.

if you have the gun ,try it .......... I believe the first ones early 70s were not unfluted nor rollmarked "22 magnum"....would have to see the cylinder especially the slot notches, as they vary from makers to maker, Colt is fatter, wider, High Standard and H&R are skinny and the Rugers run in between.....must see them side to side.......
and NO the early stainless guns were NOT "Old models" never where........
Ruger did not start use ( cast) stainless till around 1973???
also keep in mind a 22 lr cylinder could have been "rechambered" with a 22 mag reamer. and also there are some out there that were finished in' Metalife SS' ( Ron Mahovsky) out of Reno PA., I know as we had some done back in the early ,mid 70s cylinders, parts as well as entire guns and they LOOK just like stainless steel.........and yes a magnet will stick to the stainless, ,only way to find out is try a bit of cold blue in an out of way part, inside the chamber?? see if it turns "blue" (darkens)....... 8) :roll: :wink:

in_a_silent_way

Bearcat
UnQTBD7.jpg

jjtvJz1.jpg

interesting - so now i am back to no stainless OM SS, which i had always assumed until seeing the above
perhaps this one is refinished as noted above ??
might that explain the stamped numbers on the cylinder ??
i have the WMR cylinder (maybe added later ?? ), i dont have the gun - the cylinder fits a NM, which is presently all i have - thanks for everything so far

that is an early long barrel old model,RSS9, obviously 3 screws.... that has been plated ,,,hard to tell by the picture if chrome or nickel BUT they sure polished it out ( prep) if the color is on the 'white side in bright sunlight, it is chrome,,,if a tint of yellow then nickel......... 8) :roll: :wink:

also that is NOT the "original" front sight, customised for use with the Micro rear sight.
....and the grips appear to be genuine 'stag' though NOT "factory".... :wink:

in_a_silent_way

Bearcat
ahhh - thus my confusion - cylinder serial number restamped then
i am so oriented towards keeping things factory original i forget that some actually do refinish/customize/add/subtract :)
i could probably note the difference in the chambers but my up close vision is so bad i cant see detail at that distance

the polishing prep referred to is, i assume based on the condition of the factory lettering ??
i never saw this one in person so i wasn't sure of what it was or wasn't, and didn't realize i had the cylinder until after the fact

last question - i have a second cylinder of the same description as the first - this one you can faintly see the hand scribed serial - there is also an arrow ?? (i think), very small, on the bullet end face indicating direction of advance ( i guess) - is that a common factory stamp or a figment of my imagination

TIA

I can tell you that over the years we have seen many different "markings" other than the last 3 digits of the guns serial number on the fore end of any given cylinder,,,,we've seen check marks, or an S. NOT the "S" stamp for a proof mark,but a simple etched in "S" maybe for spare?? we've seen "X" maybe for 'extra' cylinder, who knows if only they could talk ( except for go bang)
and I wish I had a nickle for every cylinder that we had 're' marked over the past almost 56 years of "gun plumbing"..... 8) :roll: :wink:

....."and so it goes...." RIP Wil Terry :wink:

The gentleman informed me of the serial number, placing this piece in 1963 as a Type 3 Transition model.

I think it's neat. It's only a few numbers away from mine which is 360XXX, a Type 2 Transition.

the2dwarf

Bearcat
Am sorting though some parts
Have a question about the origin of a few cylinders I have that i ass-u-me are for a Single Six

first one ...

stainless
22 WMR
6 round
flat face on cartridge head side - no ridge around the edge
fluted
fits a new model SS convertible nicely FWIW

this has three numbers on the bullet side face of the cylinder, as per usual
the numbers are stamped, as with a punch, not hand scribed

i dont recall seeing the numbers stamped, but Ive never had many SS so maybe this is a gaping hole amongst many in my knowledge ?? - perhaps not Ruger at all ??

if Ruger, this would be any early new model version ??

no doubt there are a few here who can school me

TIA
Would You Be Interested In Selling The SS WMR Cylinder ?
Please advise.... Thanks !!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Fluted or non-fluted?
Fluted = before ~1976
Non-fluted =after ~ 1976.

Note: any stainless cyl is a new model but it will work in any single six, Old or New Model. The only variation is the over all cyl length and may need fitting.

hdrk1111

Bearcat
I have a 1974, 1977 and a 1980 4 5/8" 5.5" 6.5" all new models , all came with two cylinders , all bought new . None have fluted cylinder in .22wmr. Only the .22lr cylinders are fluted.