Larger grip on SBH Hunter over SBH?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
I just noticed this comparing the two A/B.
Got the hunter hoping I'd find it more comfortable
to shoot than the 5.5 SBH, with the extra weight
and such. The grip is clearly more roomy, and looks
to be perhaps a 1/4"-3/8" longer.

Does anyone know the reason?

In thinking about it, perhaps the likelyhood of gloved hands
in a cold-temp, hunting environment....early morning...etc.

I think you also get the larger grip frame on the Super Blackhawk with the square-back trigger guard on the 7.5" and 10.5" models. Notice that the Super Blackhawk with barrels shorter than 7.5" don't have squared trigger guards, and I believe they have a smaller grip frame. Now the Super Blackhawk "Hunter" has the scope mount built into the top, a rounded back trigger guard, and I think also a 7.5" barrel. This particular model has a grip that's bigger than the short-barreled models. A lot of guys buy the Super Blackhawk "Hunter" grip frame from MidwayUSA or other store and get it fitted for their short-barreled models that came with small grip frame.

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
seasterl said:
A lot of guys buy the Super Blackhawk "Hunter" grip frame from MidwayUSA or other store and get it fitted for their short-barreled models that came with small grip frame.

I can see that. THanks for the input.

I bought that same grip frame myself once or twice and ended up selling it because I didn't want to get into the project. I'm not a gunsmith, and for some guys on this forum it's probably a pretty easy job. But I've read testimonials of others that were surprised how much effort it took to get it right.

To mitigate the knuckle-busting, try thicker wood grip panels (or Pachmayr) grips that will reposition your knuckle away from the trigger guard when using heavier loads.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes as you discovered, the SBH Hunter has the SBH large dragoon grip size, the only difference being the trigger guard is rounded instead of square back. They are interchangeable on all Ruger SAs including the single six, except of course the Bearcat.

I prefer it on my standard SBH with long barrel and my 256 Hawkeye.

k22fan

Blackhawk
While the square backed trigger guard has never rapped my knuckles, I prefer the appearance of the round guard on the Hunter grip frame. Both make space on the front strap for my little finger. One of these years I want to get a Hunter grip frame on my 4 5/8" stainless SBH. It's too bad that Ruger does not offer a choice of grip frames on special order.

Armybrat

Buckeye
I put a longer Hunter grip frame on my 5.5" SBH Several years ago.
Posted it here...

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=235395

Hondo44

Hawkeye
When changing grip frames you always have some fitting of the sides of the grip frame to the sides of the main frame to make them flush. If the grip frame is narrower than the main frame, that's a problem; try to find another grip frame. new grip frames (unfitted to another gun) are slightly oversize so no problem.

The other is the height of the 'horns' around both sides of the hammer matching the main frame. Matching the grip frame vintage to the vintage of the gun will mitigate this fitting; especially pre and post 1999 when there was a big change.

Stainless grip frames are the easiest because they don't need re-bluing or bluing touch-up.

Sometimes one or both areas fit good enough depending upon how picky you are.

jdowney

Bearcat
I've recently cleaned up one SS grip frame and am working on another from Midway.

I found it pretty easy to get a match with a factory finished grip frame (these are not mine, they are grip frames for which I'm making grips) by brushing with a maroon scotchbrite pad. Scotchbrite is funny stuff, I get a better scuff with a light touch kinda the opposite of sandpaper.

For the new frame from Midway I'm using a succession of scotchbrite grinder discs - little 3" ones with a roloc backer that fits in a Foredom tool handpiece (or anything that takes 1/4" shank). Tan, maroon, blue, followed by a hand buff with the maroon hand pad. Those grinder versions are more aggressive so I've been going to an almost polish and then back to the right scuff.