OM BKH Barrel Lengths

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FLUndertaker

Bearcat
Im curious why the OM Blackhawks were offered in different barrel lengths from 1 caliber to another? I wish you could get a 7.5" .357 Magnum.

contender

Ruger Guru
I do not know for sure. But I did hear how Bill would figure out how many barrels he could get out of a long piece of steel, (barrel blank) in different lengths so as to not have any waste.
I'd say that they would test things like balance, velocity etc before deciding upon what barrel lengths to offer.

JUST MY GUESSING here.

z1r

Single-Sixer
I'm wondering if there is a listing of the barrel lengths offered by model and chambering?

Currently curious as to the lengths available in the OM .357?

street

Hunter
z1r said:
I'm wondering if there is a listing of the barrel lengths offered by model and chambering?

Currently curious as to the lengths available in the OM .357?
4 5/8 inch, 6 1/2 inch, 10 inch.

hittman

Staff member
You sorely need RENE ….. mine isn't handy or I'd look it up.

I think in OMs only 6.5, 7.5 and 10 inch barrels.

hittman

Staff member
I'd guess the why can only be answered by the folks at Ruger.

They're pretty closed mouthed about a lot of stuff.

My guess would be market research didn't indicate enough potential interest. And that's just a WAG. :lol:

I'd say like 'contender' noted , the lengths to be able to cut from any given bar stock ( barrel stock) also what has been across the industry over the years from OTHER makers long before Ruger...and then the obvious, "carry'" , or middle of the road and target or hunting length......short ,medium and long.. 8) :roll:

I recall reading something from White labs over 50 years ago about "it takes a minimum of 6 inch barrel for a 357 magnum to attain max velocity" :)

"...and so it goes..." RIP Wil Terry :wink:

contender said:
I do not know for sure. But I did hear how Bill would figure out how many barrels he could get out of a long piece of steel, (barrel blank) in different lengths so as to not have any waste.
I'd say that they would test things like balance, velocity etc before deciding upon what barrel lengths to offer.

JUST MY GUESSING here.

My guess is, that's a good guess :D
Waste not want not!ps

powder smoke said:
contender said:

JUST MY GUESSING here.

My guess is, that's a good guess :D
Waste not want not! ps

Yep, I've seen that rationalization in a couple of "Ruger Reference" publications. Makes sense. :mrgreen: