LCP Max ejection of unfixed bullet difficulty

Help Support Ruger Forum:

toothache#1

Bearcat
The first time I tried to eject an unfired cartridge from my new LCP Max using Sig V crown 90 gn JHP the front of the bullet lifted up partially but jammed on the front of the ejection port. The con cavity of the front of this bullet is quite large and the edge of the bullet is sharp so I guessed it was the shape of the bullet that was the problem. I had previously shot the gun using round nose Fmj and the spent case ejected fine but I did not shoot it more than 20 times due to the scarcity of ammo. I also tried different bullets and I had the same result. I returned it to the store and they had better results explaining to me that I could not "baby" the gun when cycling it by hand. Ok, I get it but here is the issue. If I try to unload 10 rounds, eight will eject properly when I cycle it vigorously but a couple will hang up and it takes all the force I can muster to eject that particular round, much more so than the other 8 cycled successfully , and when I do eject that difficult round then the slide does not go forward to it's normal firing position and I have to bump it forward. Has anyone else had issues like this? Does anyone have any suggestions about solving it? I am a little older, but the store clerk managed to insult me by asking if I was ready for an EZ model, meaning the EZ Shield I guess.

Gunslinger_56

Bearcat
Just bought one for the wife - noticed a similar issue. My solution was to "sharply" pull back the slide to get the round to eject. A casual pull does not do it - takes a hard/fast pull...

Texas1969

Bearcat
Bought one yesterday NIB. Same issue. Love the size, weight and mag cap. Truly a comfortable carry. Cleaned, loaded, and racked the slide. Can't get the unspent chamber round to eject at all. Had to manual extract it. Rinse and repeat. Same thing occurred. I'm using Federal FMJ. Will try a different brand of 380 but I'm a fan of guns you can unload without firing.

WRGADog

Bearcat
Very similar to my experience with the gun. Returned the gun to Ruger for repair. Received the gun back from Ruger today. The invoice says the barrel and slide were replaced and 30:rounds were fired to validate proper functioning. When racking the slide the guide rod springs feel feel much heavier/stiffer than before. Loaded and ejected first two rounds by racking the slide. You must rack fast and vigorously to eject a chambered round. I will go to the range tomorrow and shoot a couple of hundred rounds.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
That's what the OP said: "I drop the magazine." He didn't say he cycles all rounds through the action.
Show me where. The original post makes no mention of the magazine at all, much less dropping it. He says he tries to eject all of them, and only maybe 8 of 10 will eject.

RealTucker

Bearcat
I just bought the LCP 380 max. I first took it home and field stripped it to familiarize myself with its design. I then oiled the parts and reassembled, it had some lube but was typical factory.

I reassembled and tried cycling a few rounds through just to get used to the action. I initially had loaded some ultra lights and when pulling the rail back or racking forward they would get jammed, I thought perhaps it was the hollow tips though I would think any 380 auto should work, but, switched to Remington FMJ and they did the same thing.

I took to the range today after a couple more drops of Hobbes #9 and sure enough about every 3 rounds either the spent casing would fail to eject or more commonly the next round would either get stuck at the feed ramp or the rail would fail to return fully to battery, stopping just short requiring me to jam the rail into place to rack the round. Literally every 3 or so shots did this rendering the gun basically unshootable.

I've had guns break in before but nothing like this. I think there is a defect with the barrel that's making it stick, but I am no gunsmith. I have heard of polishing the feed ramp and I have a little polishing tool so I may try that but I have also emailed Ruger so I guess we'll see what happens.

I want to like this gun, when it did shoot it was a blast and I was very accurate up to 75 feet with it so it would be a great carry. I'll attach pictures of the two most common issues. Any input or suggestions would be much appreciated, this is my first Ruger!

Attachments

• 2A40B21C-9EDC-4DA0-AEF9-47CE951D5E33.jpeg
    2A40B21C-9EDC-4DA0-AEF9-47CE951D5E33.jpeg
    636.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 1E1C89C1-06B5-4F90-B362-504AB1644230.jpeg
    1E1C89C1-06B5-4F90-B362-504AB1644230.jpeg
    559.4 KB · Views: 101

DEG1

Bearcat
Mine does it too, but found if really rack it with authority, chambered round ejects properly.

jamman620

Bearcat
A lot of people are saying to really rack it and that guns aren't meant to eject live rounds so there is no issue with the gun. Meanwhile have 6 other semi-auto pistols and my fiance and mom (62 with carpal tunnel) can eject live rounds in them with no issues. Have to reaaaally slingshot this one and still it feels like a 50/50, and for them it's just not possible.

hittman

Staff member
I'd say put 200 or 300 rounds thru it before you decide if it needs to be fixed. They do need a break-in.
I gotta be honest.
I regret posting this about a year and a half ago. I've since changed my mind.
Provided the gun is cleaned of any grease used during shipping, is properly lubed, using good quality new brass cased ammo and you don't limp wrist … no reason why any gun shouldn't function perfectly right out of the box.
Break-in should be done during the R&D portion with the manufacturer.

glockolive

Bearcat
Purchased an LCP Max yesterday. Never fired it yet but found the same issue. Noticed a build up of brass shavings on the slide, cleaned it off, and found a manufacturing defect. There's an indentation on the slide that grabs the rim of the casing and causes the ejection issues when racking by hand. Not being able to clear malfunctions using the Tap, Rack, Bang technique is unacceptable. Notified Ruger via their website and got an email response the next afternoon saying to call in to support for an RMA number. Was quickly emailed a prepaid return label and it's going back today.
manufacturing defect lcp max.jpg

Last edited:

tybochip

Bearcat
I haven't posted for awhile, but have been around soaking up knowledge you folks share here.
This thread caught my eye because I bought an LCP max and experienced the same problems some others have had.
I believe the indentation shown above is the ejection problem. Mine collected brass particles at that place. I called Ruger (great CS)
They sent me a new barrel, slide and spring. Installed them yesterday and I now have the gun I wanted. Manually ejected 10 unfired rounds without a hitch. If the indentation is in the new slide, I can't see it. No brass particles and the first mag put 10 in a 1 3/4 group in the Bullseye @ 7yds. Me happy.