Sig320 firing by itself in holster

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I read about the Milwaukee PD having had more than one accidental discharge while holstered with the Sig P320 issued to its LEO's. I carry an Lc9s as my EDC, also a striker fired pistol, and wondered if this model Ruger has ever had the same problem as apparently the Sig does.

Local report of a striker fired pistol discharging while holstered: Seems the user holstered his pistol, got in his car, and when he yanked his jacket up to fasten the seat belt the pistol fired.
Rest of the story: User was wearing a jacket with a drawstring hem. He holstered pistol catching the drawstring in the trigger guard. Drawstring had the usual knot and when he yanked the jacket up, said knot contacted trigger and gun fired.
Be VERY careful when holstering striker fired handguns. Always use a holster that completely covers the trigger guard and make sure nothing is in the holster or gets pushed into the holster while placing the gun.
The above Goober was lucky. Not much damage to the vehicle but his ears took a beating and he may need new boxers.

This is the exact reason I stopped carrying a striker fired pistol.... There are numerous instances of this happening with Glocks and so Sig and Ruger in their infamous wisdom took the advice of their marketing departments and also went the striker route. Don't get me too wrong, the striker fired pistols I own are easier to learn, shoot and two are by far the most accurate for me.... actually the most accurate is a FHN in 9mm I got from a fellow member here. The only problem with it is it has the little flippy metal thing on the right rear side that you have to move up so a red dot is showing or the gun won't fire.

Of course with constant vigilance and a good amount of discipline one should not have a problem and experience a 'Glock Trigger' problem.

Mike J

Hunter
I carry a striker fired pistol. As Blume said trigger finger discipline & paying attention when holstering are crucial when carrying this type of pistol. In all honesty I have seen so many different reports of Sig P-320 pistols discharging I would be reluctant to acquire one. I am sure they are nice pistols & the problems may be user induced. I honestly don't know. Still the number of incidents I have seen reported make me think I don't want one. There are plenty of offerings from other manufacturers.

The efforts to make this type of handgun more 'shootable' have resulted in what's basically a cocked single action with a lot of take-up.
That little 'safety tab' on the front of the trigger may give a false sense of safety.

Mike J

Hunter
Mobuck said:
The efforts to make this type of handgun more 'shootable' have resulted in what's basically a cocked single action with a lot of take-up.
That little 'safety tab' on the front of the trigger may give a false sense of safety.

That tab is really nothing more than a drop safety but the Sig P-320 does not have one of those if I recall correctly.

Billy1953

Single-Sixer

What's the Deal with the SIG P320 Exploding and Firing "Un-Commanded"?

Ian Mccollum of Forgotten Weapons does an in-depth discussion on the Sig P320 issues.

Almost all of the newer striker guns have what I would consider good to decent SA trigger pulls. Would you carry a cocked 1911 with the grip safety taped down and the safety off??? Why wouldn't you??? Almost anything that would engage the trigger would also engage the little trigger dingle.

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
I read about the Milwaukee PD having had more than one accidental discharge while holstered with the Sig P320 issued to its LEO's. I carry an Lc9s as my EDC, also a striker fired pistol, and wondered if this model Ruger has ever had the same problem as apparently the Sig does.
If you watch the video...the gun was NOT seated in the holster and the trigger was exposed.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Plenty of cops have popped Glocks off in holsters over the last 30+ years too, including my local Sheriff

We switched to Glocks at my job and have had numerous NDs

We previously had S&W 65's, not a single ND that I can recall in 10 years and never heard of any prior to that. With more "shootability " and capacity comes the risk of unintended bangs

RC44Mag

Buckeye
As simple as Operator Error. There was a guy I know and a couple years ago had a N.D. either drawing or holstering his Glock and put a round through his thigh as subsequently had to have his leg amputated.

About a year ago, I posted on a very popular gun forum about a friend of mine I have known for years. Former Military Armory, Range officer, competitive shooter etc. Well, one day, he was headed to the range, bent down to put gear into his car. TheN the BIG BANG! His GLOCK went off. Now he swears to me that the gun went off on it's own. I told him that is impossible. OK, so I posted this on the forum. Well you should have seen the comments from the GLOCK boys. NO WAY, IMPOSSIBLE for a gun to go off on it's own.
Lol, when this stupid video came out with the Sig, THE SAME GLOCK BOY'S WERE SCREAMING, THE SIG WENT OFF ON IT'S OWN! The same exact people who said a gun going off on it's own was impossible.

This is so laughable. When I hear this nonsense of the Sig going off by itself, I feel I am watching CNN and they crap they throw at Trump.
Man, JEALOUSY IS POWERFUL.

PS The bullet entered his thigh and went all the say down his leg.

Last edited:
I was hanging around a friend's gunship yesterday discussing this. On the counter were a few 1911's and a few of the latest striker guns. I showed them how similar the triggers are and then how the 1911 has a manual and grip safety to prevent it from going off unless you have a proper grip and intentionally disengage the safety and the other one has a little dingle that anything that would depress the trigger would probably engage.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Glock created this monster , because everyone had to fix what wasn't broken and make striker pistols

I'm a State CO and NDs are so common with the new Glocks we have that the State ordered all kinds of re-training and they're considering getting rid of Glocks because people are too dumb to handle them safely . We have to have a Lt babysit us to clear a Glock after returning from a trip because a guy put a 9mm into a building trying to unload.

The state should have just purchased new 4" .38 revolvers. Ruger would happily have provided 10,000 4" fixed sight GP100s , and SP101s for Parole agents.

Glocks were designed for the Austrian military, and they caught on worldwide. The triggers are too light for "the masses " or Joe Blow cops , security guards and COs. They were fine for a European army that probably had what, 70,000 soldiers. Not worldwide use.

I worked at a nuke plant years ago and we had Glock 22s and I can't even count how many rounds were fired into the ground during quals and having to pull the trigger to take the slide off resulted in a few NDs including a round through the range house wall

This is why the NYPD mandates the NY1 trigger

It is obviously much harder to ND a Double Action hammer pistol like a Beretta. I'd wager NDs in the military are way more common with the Sigs than the M9 Beretta

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
There's also a reason why every manufacturer made DAO hammer autos like the S&W 5946, Beretta 92D, P89 DAO etc

I actually prefer them and have used all of mine in competition. The trigger pull is consistent, I have no problem hitting at 25 yards and I never understood the need for a DA first shot, SA afterwards auto. These aren't 25 yard bullseye pistols. They're 10 yard combat guns

Latest posts