striker fired versus hammer fired

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wobbly34b

Bearcat
I am really a revolver guy but I have owned several striker fired pistols.
My question is why do so many people like striker fired pistols?
I have never owned a hammer fired pistol but have dry fired a couple and
the trigger seems so much easier. I must be missing something here, but could
it be that they can manufacture striker fired pistols cheaper?

Thank you for any replies.

Bob

NikA

Buckeye
Striker fired pistols certainly have fewer parts in many cases. The few that I own are based on Browning designs and have approximately the same number of parts in the slide assembly but many fewer in the frame assembly.

As for preference, I really have no idea. The vast majority of pistols I own are hammer fired, even if that hammer is concealed or spurless.

Mike J

Hunter
I own both. The pistol I currently carry 99% of the time that I am armed is striker fired. It works, is decently accurate, dirt simple to use & has a consistent trigger pull. I do own examples of both striker fired & hammer fired.
I do believe polymer framed striker fired pistols are cheaper to manufacture. They are what is popular now. I don't think there is anything wrong with hammer fired. Some folks prefer a DAO or DA/SA pistol for carry. I don't think there is anything wrong with either. It just comes down to what each individual prefers.

My thoughts: I've fired a variety of semi-auto handguns (SA/DA, SA only, striker) and IMHO, a striker mechanism is preferable to a rough, stacking DA. A single action auto is still the best IF the operator is qualified.
The striker fired pistols sort of defeat the 'hold and squeeze' that many are accustomed to but offer the longer pull that some feel is 'safer'. Shooting my little Taurus G2C is nothing like shooting a DA/SA mechanism. It's sort of 'hold it steady and haul back on the trigger' not 'align sights precisely and feel the trigger break' of a S/A. The resistance is fairly even through out the trigger pull rather than building to the break like a double action.
Which is 'better'? Personal preference is more important than mechanical function--whichever feels right for the user. The one thing I would not accept is the striker operation that doesn't offer 're-strike' capability.

badge851

Single-Sixer
My thoughts: I've fired a variety of semi-auto handguns (SA/DA, SA only, striker) and IMHO, a striker mechanism is preferable to a rough, stacking DA. A single action auto is still the best IF the operator is qualified.
The striker fired pistols sort of defeat the 'hold and squeeze' that many are accustomed to but offer the longer pull that some feel is 'safer'. Shooting my little Taurus G2C is nothing like shooting a DA/SA mechanism. It's sort of 'hold it steady and haul back on the trigger' not 'align sights precisely and feel the trigger break' of a S/A. The resistance is fairly even throughout the trigger pull rather than building to the break like a double action.
Which is 'better'? Personal preference is more important than mechanical function--whichever feels right for the user. The one thing I would not accept is the striker operation that doesn't offer 're-strike' capability.
Taurus® G2, G3, and GX4 are all striker-fired with restrike capability.

Striker fired vs. hammer fired is like Ford vs. Chevy vs. Mopar - people have their favorites and you won't be able to change their minds no matter what you say.

Personally I have both, I know the operation of both and I practice with both so that I know what is going to happen if bad goes to worse.

I think striker fired might be easier to tame (learn?) over DA/SA.... the most accurate pistol I own is actually striker fired but I think it has to do with a combination of a really good trigger (factory) and a grip that my hand likes*....with that said, I prefer DA/SA because I'm more of a traditionalist .... then again it I was a true traditionalist for semi-autos then I would go with Single action only.

*FNH/FNS-9

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Striker fired is * Simpler * to learn/ teach . Most institutional purchasers place much weight upon that . And general public to large degree follows their lead .

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I have both, but prefer a da/sa pistol over striker fired any time. I don't mess with them, so internal complexity isn't really a concern for me. Plus, I like the extra potential of being able to manually pull the hammer back if I need to or carry cocked and locked.

Will a striker fired gun become smoother over time and use, much like a hammer fired gun becomes smoother through use? Although now that I type this and read the question, I guess that is more of a question of the trigger than the firing mechanism.

I just bought a Max 9, and it seems in reading about these compact guns, and striker fired guns, they talk about "mushy" triggers, and they are kind of tied together (trigger and hammer that is.)

173rdLRRP

Single-Sixer
Striker fired is * Simpler * to learn/ teach . Most institutional purchasers place much weight upon that . And general public to large degree follows their lead .
The RTO on our LRRP team (1966-67) is the most knowledgeable firearms expert I know. He taught for Cooper and is thus a total .45 GM crank (practices with steel frame with 230 grain and carried lightweight frame with 180 grain so he has same felt recoil) but he does think the striker fired weapons are now the way to go since it is the same trigger pull for each shot. He likes the Springfield single stack his wife Carrie's in rural New Mexico.

dweis

Blackhawk