LC9s safety

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hurst01

Bearcat
I have recently came across something that concerns me about my Ruger LC9s. I bought this gun several years ago and actually have never fired it. I normally carry my Ruger SR40C but it is a bit harder to conceal. Normally, I carry in a FOXX Kydex holster which I really like but it has a tendency to dig into my side while sitting on the couch.
A couple days ago when changing clothes I noticed one of the holster clips had lost a screw. I pulled the pistol out and noticed the safety was off :eek: . I carry with a round chambered with the safety on. This is the second time this has happened. I am not aware of any way the safety could have been turned off.
I always make sure the safety is on because it freaks my wife out just because I carry. For a long time she always asked me when she saw it if it was loaded. I kept telling her a gun was worthless if it wasn't loaded. She finally quit asking me about it being loaded but doesn't want it so anyone could see it. She would have crapped had she known the safety was off. Anyone had this happen? My SR40C definitely clicks when turning the safety on and off.

Thanks, Ed

Cholo

Staff member
hurst01 said:
My SR40C definitely clicks when turning the safety on and off.
That implies that the safety on your LC9s doesn't. That could be the problem.

I looked up those holsters but don't know which one you have. The ones I saw had the sweat shield that will cover the safety, good if you like a safety model. What I can't find is if those holsters are molded to your exact gun or if it fits a variety of guns similar to yours. I don't like those! Any kind of looseness can flick a less than ideal safety.

I think you'll find your answer in one of the scenarios above.

hurst01

Bearcat
The FoxX Hybrid is moulded to this particular gun. It kind-of snaps in place. I was just thumbing through ebay and found a holster called Painkiller. I wonder if they are any good? It has a two week trial period.

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
hurst01, I suggest a simple test for the pistol and holster. With the pistol removed, unloaded, and even mag out, put the safety on. Then, holding the holster in your other hand, slowly slide the pistol in. See if the "channel" for the safety lever is turning the safety off. I know it sounds funny, but I had a holster that always did that on my SR22. The quick fix to that, if that is what is happening, is take a heat source to the safety lever channel and push it out in any area that makes contact. Since I am NOT familiar with your holster, this is for kydex type only. If it is leather, you may have to wet it and re-mould that area if possible. Good luck and please let us know how this turns out for you.

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
When I use my crossbreed mini-tuk, I am careful to have my thumb covering the safety on my LC9 when I holster...Otherwise the sweat shield WILL grab ahold of it and switch it.

I would try to just plant the seed for you and your wife or possibly just her alone take a good gun safety course.... she might then get it that guns just don't go off. I carried a Sig P230 for years, decock only no safety, One day I looked closer at the gun and realized for some period of time, several days I think, I had been carrying it with the hammer cocked...

If you are really uncomfortable with what happened then I can only suggest checking the gun daily to see the safety is on... I check my carry gun every time I put it on the see if a round is in the chamber... it does not have a safety.

Garth69

Single-Sixer
My LC9 Pro, doesn't even have a safety. Neither does the Max 9 Pro. Many of the newer guns these days don't have one. With the trigger that have been modified they aren't needed. Guns don't go off by themselves. Glocks don't have them.
what is the difference in a max 9 pro and the lc9sPro?

The lc9s pro is a single stack and fairly thin model comes with one mag a 7 round and an orange "fake" mag so you can work the slide to dry fire without racking it all the way. Bigger mags are available.
The Max 9 pro is an "upgrade" from the LC9s and is double stack. It comes with 2 mags a 10 and a 12 round, it also has a nice fiber optic sight with trijicon front sight. Very high visibility front sight. Both conceal very well, but they don't take the same holster. I like them both. If you register them on line Ruger gives you a 10% discount on up to $100 for extra mags or other accessories.
The "pro" series means no safety to get accidentally flipped up. I grew up using revolvers (obviously with no safety) and I've never really gotten in the habit of using a safety. I just leave them off. That's the reason I've never had an issue with the triggers on striker fired guns.

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
My LC9 Pro, doesn't even have a safety. Neither does the Max 9 Pro. Many of the newer guns these days don't have one. With the trigger that have been modified they aren't needed. Guns don't go off by themselves. Glocks don't have them.
Same here. If I need the gun I don't want to have to fumble with turning the safety off in a crisis moment. Every second counts. And don't carry my LC9 Pro anymore. I now carry a Walthers PPQ which also comes without a safety switch.

Garth69

Single-Sixer
The lc9s pro is a single stack and fairly thin model comes with one mag a 7 round and an orange "fake" mag so you can work the slide to dry fire without racking it all the way. Bigger mags are available.
The Max 9 pro is an "upgrade" from the LC9s and is double stack. It comes with 2 mags a 10 and a 12 round, it also has a nice fiber optic sight with trijicon front sight. Very high visibility front sight. Both conceal very well, but they don't take the same holster. I like them both. If you register them on line Ruger gives you a 10% discount on up to $100 for extra mags or other accessories.
The "pro" series means no safety to get accidentally flipped up. I grew up using revolvers (obviously with no safety) and I've never really gotten in the habit of using a safety. I just leave them off. That's the reason I've never had an issue with the triggers on striker fired guns.
thank you for your reply.

Latest posts