some Praise for the P-Series

Help Support Ruger Forum:

For several years now I've been shooting the barrels out of my two P90's and my P97 ...... they are like the Energizer bunny: they just keep working and working and working. The only "problems" have been a broken magazine latch spring and one broken ejector ...... all easily fixed by me.

And also my two P85's ....... over 22,000 rounds fired and no problems at all.

And I had a P89 for a few years, nearly 10,000 rounds through it zero problems. My pal liked it so much he finally twisted my arm enough times and I sold it to him.

I'm thinking that Ruger really got it right with the P-Series !!

06dilly

Single-Sixer
Now that's a great testimonial! I just love how they feel in the hand, are accurate out of the box and don't stop working. Was a nice step in pistols before all the plastics took over. If only they did not come out right when Glock hit the market I think Ruger would have had a more successful run with the P's. Great post, thanks for the reminder. Now if I can just find some ammo it may be time to head to the range!

TomD

Sad truth of manufacturing is that once a product is perfected after a few years the marketing people feel a need to 'improve' their product and redesign it. That and the gun community drinking the striker fired kool-aid led to the demise of the P series pistols.

gunman42782

Hunter
The P series guns get little respect, but I have owned many, still own 3, and they were all 100% reliable. People say they are big, but I don't think they are a bit bigger than a Glock, HK, Sig, or Beretta of the same time period.

Not sure how many "P's" I have laying around but have not had any of them fail. I did make the mistake of having a totally beat to snot P85 Cerra(?) coated. The layer of coating made things too tight and it took a lot of hand cycling to get it fully functional. You can do nearly anything short of melting them and they still function. They're big and clunky but they work.

The consumer part of the handgun industry seems to be driven by small and light... I understand this... but the reality is if I knew I was going to need a handgun I choose big, heavy and chunky any day over light and small.....

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I bought a p85 in 1987 , maybe 1988.
I have shot more bullets through it than a truck could carry.
I have never done a thing to it except for cleaning it.
It still functions as good today as it did when I bought it.
It is always in my work truck.

I remember reading about it in gun magazines long before it came out.
Ruger made them trying to get the military contract that was given to Beretta , at more than twice the price of a p85.
The Beretta might be a prettier gun , but there is no way you can tell me it is a better gun.
You can tie a P85 behind your truck and drag it to the range and it will still shoot.

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
The consumer part of the handgun industry seems to be driven by small and light... I understand this... but the reality is if I knew I was going to need a handgun I choose big, heavy and chunky any day over light and small.....

I agree blume357.

I went with a couple of friends for some shooting a weekend or two back. First time in a long while. I shot my trusty Ruger P-Series better than anything else that I took. I think that I have sufficient parts for most potential breakages. Which my next Ruger breakage will be my first.

mac66

Single-Sixer
I bought my P97 used with 5 mags for less than $300. It was my first double action auto. It quickly became a favorite of my .45s. Put a heavy spring in it with heavy 45 Super type loads for black bear protection at my hunting property. Ran into the bears several times this spring. Been carrying it every day for the last week after carrying a pocket 9mm for several years. Not too much difference carrying tucked IWB. Didn't even notice it after awhile.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
I like the looks of these things. Retro Steel Town USA, heavy metal with a rakish forward slant that fits right anywhere, anywhen. When my mining claim comes through and I head out to Asteroid Belt I'm putting one of these pieces in my flight bag.

blume357 said:

I agree, my edc is a small and light, 12+1 that conceals well. If I'm going to war I'm carrying a full size S&W, M&P, or a Ruger SR9, (or something similar).

mikld

Blackhawk
I've got my "old pals", my facorites, and my P90 is right nea the top of my list for semi-autos next to my 1911. I have no idea how many rounds I have put through it but I've owned it for 18 years and took it out every range session up to reciently when I got back into my 44 Mag revolvers. The only "problem" I've had is it doesn't like 200 gr SWC and chokes on one or two per magazine full, but gobles up 230 RN, jacketed and cast, cast 230 T/C and 230 JHPs. It has a perminate spot in my "forever" arsenal...

mpalm

Single-Sixer
Someone is enjoying my lightly used P89 that I sold a few years back. (I should have kept it).
I got $450 for it used . could have gotten more I think. It was stainless with 2 15 round mags.
Today everyone wants plastic striker fired guns. I reminisce about that gun sometimes

Pyromike

Single-Sixer
My son has already called 'Dibs' on my P95 if I ever want to get rid of it. Think I can hear it from the safe calling out, "FEED ME"!