LITTLE HELP PLEASE, CLEANING REAR SIGHT

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dbuffington1

Bearcat
I'am attempting to clean the rear sight on my factory P345 2004 year model. It has the original sight on it. Got the screw out and the sight will not budge left or right. Someone please give me a little insight to this little trick before I damage or loose something.
You can E-Mail me if you like

Ok I did find a post were it says to drive it out from left to right. I tried this with a pistol kit I have that has a very small hammer in the kit. Brass on one end & plastic on the other. Yes I did use the plastic end. It would not budge. Getting frustrated just a little. Any help would be great

Thanks

[email protected]

loaded round

Hunter
I would suggest soaking your entire slide in Kroil or some other type of penetrating oil for a good 24 hours and give it another try with your hammer and brall/nylon punch. I've done 3 P345's and haven't yet had a problem with removing the rear sight. AS FAR As I know, the rear sight is not staked or "lock-tighted" in. Good luck!

You need a brass punch and a brass hammer. Putting the slide in a padded jaw vise will help, too. The idea is to use the punch to direct the blow from the hammer as close to the bottom of the dovetail as possible. And to keep the slide from moving and absorbing the energy of the hit from the little hammer.

If you don't have a vise, a hard tabletop will work if you have someone hold the slide so it can't move when you whack the sight with the punch and hammer.

I think if I wanted to clean the rear sight, I'd use a cheap toothbrush and some Hoppes Number 9 solvent, and not remove the sight from the gun at all, though.