Ruger Max-9 . . . MERGED THREADS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike J

Hunter
Armybrat said:
ncvikingfan said:
Why they completely ditched the SR 9, SR 40, & SR 45, I will never understand.
I was happy to buy two new SR9 pistols in late 2019 at giveaway prices. ($300 & $250).

Now I'm tempted to buy a Max-9 for MSRP at my LGS.

I was just wondering how long it will be before someone here buys one. I used to have a Kel-Tec P11. The size, weight, & capacity of it were very nice. Having that same size & weight in a higher capacity 9 that had a nicer trigger would be attractive. I keep looking at the micro 9's but so far that is all I have done.

I think I will wait to try one that someone else purchases. A little gun shy, no pun intended, whether or not it has a "finger pincher" trigger like the EC9s. Looks like a nice package. I am leaning more to the Hellcat because of the pic rail. JMO

P89DC

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
Offering "new" stuff is apparently what keeps people coming back and stirs interest.
I know. I'm one of those that doesn't fall for something because it new. I even have my P89 still.

.Yeah the P series were tanks and workhorses but other brands quickly passed them up. Same with other lines that followed I'd suspect.

I may be the exception and not the rule but after having P series for a few years, I moved to things like the CZ75 and Sig P220 and Glock 22. Sold the P series guns at that time and never looked back.
Lol

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
Ruger had to develop a magazine and alter the grip frame on a LC9 series to develop the Max-9 to compete with the 365 & Hellcat ... really a seemingly easy transformation... now S&W is in the game ,, Glock .. nope thick polymer magazines will keep them on the bench ....
Of the 4 the Max-9 would be my pick ... But I have a G2 .. before that a passel of
PT-111's all worked and work .. and I carry revolvers 90% of the time

hpman66

Hunter
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ChwQ3J2Q3NI
New Ruger Max 9 First Shots & Impressions (vs Shield Plus)
Honest Outlaw
Published on Apr 7, 2021

Mike J

Hunter
hpman66 said:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ChwQ3J2Q3NI
New Ruger Max 9 First Shots & Impressions (vs Shield Plus)
Honest Outlaw
Published on Apr 7, 2021

Interesting. I watched a youtube review by someone else the other day. They had a malfunction also. Both reviewers seemed to think it was their fault. It might be something it might be nothing. I remember the slide on my little CM9 not locking back the first time I shot it because my thumb was on the slide stop. But if I really wanted one of these I think I would sit back, wait & watch a while before seriously considering buying.

stmry

Single-Sixer
I was at my LGS this afternoon to check out some of the new offerings on the market.
When handling the Ruger Max several of us noticed that the slide would wobble a bit from side to side on the frame if you gently shook it.
I'm only mentioning this as an observation, but to me it seemed to be a little loose. Has any one else noticed this?

Cholo

Staff member
I havn't handled one, but when they came out I looked on YouTube for opinionated reviews :) One guy said it did rattle a lot where the S&W Shield Plus and Sig P365 didn't.

blue2golf

Bearcat
Cholo said:
I havn't handled one, but when they came out I looked on YouTube for opinionated reviews :) One guy said it did rattle a lot where the S&W Shield Plus and Sig P365 didn't.

I think I saw that one, he called it, "the maraca test." (The Max 9 did rattle a lot)

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
Yes, I got mine last week. I got to the range today to shoot/test it. Today was a function test. tested factory ammo and reloads. very nice shooting pistol. It ate everything I fed it with no problem. I will say, it did pinch the trigger finger. Like any new pistol, will need to practice with it before i test actual grouping. definitely nice to shoot. feels very good in the hand and recoil wasn't to bad to control.

Tom-R2

Bearcat
I picked up one a couple days ago, planning on shooting it in the next couple days. It's already sporting a Holosun 507k. It's really similar in feel to the Security 9 compact. Too bad the mags don't swap between them.

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
Tom-R2; I just picked one of those red dots up today at a gun show. Please post how it is. Fit is great and optics clear so am hoping I can actually shoot with it. :)

Tom-R2

Bearcat
I took mine out to try out. It fed everything, several different weights of handloads and factory defensive loads. It felt good for a small pistol, kinda between the Security 9 compact, and the LC9. Two clicks up on the Holosun and it hit right on target. I'm happy with it. I received an email from Simply Rugged holsters that said my new holster for it is on the way. So I'm double-happy.

leadhead2

Bearcat
Any one have a suggestion on what kind of a holster to buy for the new Ruger Max 9?
I carried my LC9s for years in a paddle holster, but the max seems to heavy with all
that ammo. I'm torn between a scabbard or something with belt loops. I always liked
to carry cross draw but they are few and far between. Any help would be great.
Denny

leadhead2

Bearcat
Thanks .. I've been looking at simply rugged. They have a lot of nice ones.
Checked out white hat, but I don't care for plastic holsters. I think I'm going
to need a pancake type. One I can switch from strong side to cross draw.
The search continues.
Denny

Tom-R2

Bearcat
In the last week, I've gotten a Simply Rugged 'Cuda' OWB and a shell from AlienGear for my Max-9. I already had the Cloak Tuck IWB. Both fit quite well. The Cuda looks like it will last as long as the pistol does.

Latest posts