A second trigger?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yawn

Blackhawk
So, I am hoping that my experience is because the slide wasn't attached - otherwise, I may need to rethink some things.

Backstory: I read a while back (I think on here actually) about a guy who was in a department store something like that (dressing room I think) and dropped his gun. He thought that maybe his safety had broken, so he pulled the trigger of his loaded firearm. His safety had broken and he fired a round through that store and into the next one over.

I recently field stripped my gun to give it a bath and thought that now would be a much safer time to pull the trigger on the "lower", since the slide was fully detached.

Good news is that the trigger pull did pretty much nothing! The trigger safety (SR45) pulled down/stayed down and the trigger moved slightly, but nothing else.

At that point something hit me... I have no idea what to do from here. So I though, well what happens if I now pull the safety down (off).

Bad news is that the trigger slammed down as if it had been pulled. I was VERY MUCH NOT expecting that. In essence (without the slide at least), with the trigger safety engaged and the manual safety "on" to stop the full trigger pull, the gun doesn't fire, but it also doesn't reset... the safety appears to become the defacto trigger.

This is not a good thing/idea/concept.

I have had my clothing catch the safety a couple of times and disengage while carrying.

With the backstory done:

Is this something that only happens with the slide off?
Can anyone else replicate this with the slide off or is it just a malfunction with my gun with the slide off?
Is anyone able to (SAFELY AT THE RANGE PLEASE! :lol:) replicate this with live fire?
If it is a malfunction, any ideas what might be causing it?

Thanks all!

Mike J

Hunter
You could always reassemble the gun & try the same thing with the slide installed & the chamber empty. Just remember to put an empty magazine in as I believe the SR series guns magazine disconnect safety can damage the gun if you dry fire without a magazine.

Edited to add: The guy in the department store dressing room should have had enough sense to wait until he was somewhere away from people with a safe backstop & an unloaded gun to check out whether or not his safety was broken. What a maroon!

Mike J

Hunter
Just out of curiosity I want to ask if the fellow in the story was carrying one of the original Taurus Millenium Pro pistols. I believe they would if you pulled the trigger with the safety on fire when it was taken off. Huge class action lawsuit. They wound up buying the defective design guns back for $200 a piece. The guy that told me about it was pretty upset because he spent considerably more than that on the pistol.

Yawn

Blackhawk
Mike J said:
You could always reassemble the gun & try the same thing with the slide installed & the chamber empty. Just remember to put a magazine in as I believe the SR series guns magazine disconnect safety can damage the gun if you dry fire without a magazine.

Edited to add: The guy in the department store dressing room should have had enough sense to wait until he was somewhere away from people with a safe backstop & an unloaded gun to check out whether or not his safety was broken. What a maroon!

Hmm... that does sound like the next step doesn't it!

Ok, just did that and the trigger guard didn't stay down and the trigger didn't move. When I let go, the trigger guard popped back out. So, it appears to only have been a thing with the slide removed.

As for the guy... I sympathize with him a bit. There was a simple solution to my problem and I didn't know it until you said wht you said. Sometimes people just aren't thinking. No excuse for his actions, but I do sympathize.

And I don't know what his gun was.

Thanks for the help for me though!

Proper function often involves the interaction of related parts.
I've dealt with old guns, military surplus guns, worn out guns, and poorly made guns for decades. All sorts of weird stuff happens when parts are worn or not properly fitted or simply missing.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
This same situation occurred with the Mark IV pistols when they were first released, resulting in a nationwide recall. I had the recall fix done on mine.

Mike J

Hunter
Glad you got it sorted out Yawn.

I might have been a little harsh in my remarks about the man having the negligent discharge but firearms while wonderful machines are very unforgiving.