Security 9 Compact

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tracker1

Bearcat
I had hoped to get one of the S9 Compacts (10 shot with flush fit mag). I saw one at a local gun store, but had to get somewhere else. When I got there again, it was gone. Since then (mid 2020), I cannot find one anywhere. Now the MAX seems to be the darling of the compact Rugers. I do like the combo tritium/fiber optic front sight. But I would still like to find the Security 9 Compact someday, Does anybody know if more S9C's are in the pipeline or are they already fading into obscurity so the MAX can get some market share against the SIG 365 and Springfield Hellcat?

hollywood63

Bearcat
Mines a EDC had it for a couple years like above keep looking you won't go wrong. I'd like to handle a Max to see how it compares to the compact also

meister mash

Bearcat
Well mine is a turd.
I had to send it back once already.
Function issues.
Just isn't very accurate.
My lc9s runs circles around it in the accuracy dept as does my lowely sr9e.
I bought the S&W shield + this go around.

Tracker1

Bearcat
Well, the force was with me last Tuesday. I was picking up some items at the local Farm & Home store and decided to stroll by the gun department. There in the gun case I spied a small Ruger semi-auto with the distinctive magazine with a finger rest floorplate used on the Security 9 Compact. They had just gotten in a couple Compacts and a couple full size ones. I quickly made a deal. Yesterday I reached the end of my 72 hour waiting period and picked it up. Today, I put about 40 rounds through it and all cranked through without any failures of any kind. I was quite pleased with the white outline rear sight. As reported by some reviewers, the safety was a bit hard to move at first, but smoothed up after some use. I am quite pleased with it on Day 1.

I did the basic degreasing cleaning session last night and discovered that a jumbo sized paper clip (about 1.75") was a perfect tool to snag the takedown pin with - much less likely to scratch the gun's finish than a screwdriver or (god forbid) a knife blade. Very easy to take down and reassemble using the paper clip.

I had thought that some holsters that go with my SR9C would be usable with the S9C, but the molded paddle type holster made by Ruger was not quite shaped right for interchangeability. No problem with the adjustable nylon belt holsters. Will probably get a good leather rig made for the S9C.

The trigger on the Security 9's is of the internal hammer type like on the LCP2 pistol, and it is very smooth. Reviews that I have seen all report that the trigger is about 5#. That was my main reason for finding a S9C rather than going with the new Max (striker fired). Great little 10 shooter!

Tom-R2

Bearcat
I picked up one about a year and a half ago. First round failed to feed from the mag. Kicked it out, second round fed just fine. After that, it cranked about 60 rounds of both factory and handloads, 115gr, 124gr, 135gr, 147gr. HPs, flat points, round nose, didn't matter, it fed everything I loaded. Everything shot pretty close to POA at 10 yards. Not a hiccup after that first round. I really like it. I just got on the list for a Max-9 yesterday so we'll see how they compare.