P89 compared to P90

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
Getting older, the arthritis is getting worse, arms are getting weaker to the point that I can no longer rack the slide on my KP90DC. For those of you who have both, is the P89 easier to rack than the P90? I am really more comfortable shooting a hammer fired pistol than a striker fired and see no reason to change. Yes, In the past I've shot striker fired in several calibers at the range but it's been a few years. I have an S&W 2.0 in 45 but just am not comfortable with it. Guess what Im looking for is the most caliber with the easiest to rack slide...........or go back to a revolver. A 1917 Colt 45acp fit the bill for many years then switched to an early GP100 3" in .357. Neither were too heavy in their day but time is marching on. Really thinking about a Redhawk 4" in 45 colt. Suggestions and Comments Appreciated!

Revolver might be the way to go.... A few years back I discovered helping out a friend shoot that some women don't have the hand strength to rack the slide on 9MM and above pistols.... seems like .380's are generally easier and I think Walther made a 9mm specifically designed with a 'light' rack weight ..... and I had a Sig P250 that was easy.

I don't have a P90... but just tested my P89 and it seems to be the easiest to rack of probably all my SA/DA pistols...
what I also discovered is it is much easier to rack with the hammer cocked..... that might be something to consider... try cocking the hammer on your P90 and then rack the slide...

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
There are several products on the market to make racking a slide easier on most any semi-auto that you might take a look at. The slide spider, or various devices that you attach to the slide. Do a google search for "slide racking assist", you might find something that works for you. :)

Mike J

Hunter
I don't know about the P89 or P90 as I don't have any experience with them. My only P-series is a P94. If you are not averse to polymer you might take a look at the S&W Shield EZ. It is not striker fired. It does use a shrouded hammer (I believe the hammer is partially cocked by the slide cycling but not 100% sure) & has a grip safety. The pistol is designed for use by people with arthritis or limited hand strength.

roylt

Hunter
I think the 89 & 90 actually use the same guide rod spring. But it has been awhile since I've messed with the P-guns.
Depending on how you plan to get a 89, try to rack it a few times and see if it works for you. Of course internet purchase won't help for "testing".

Good luck and keep the P-guns alive!!!

314Chevy

Single-Sixer
I know this is a Ruger forum but you may want to check out the S&W EZ 9mm. I haven't shot one (they sell out quick according the the salesman) but I was able to check one out and it is very easy to rack.

I like Mobuck's advice and do much the same. But there does come a time for a revolver and it's tough to beat the Ruger LCR's. Maybe go with an LCR 3" in 38 Special. Tough to beat the trigger, nice and light, and points well.

Mike J

Hunter
steveodtw said:
+1 for the S&W M&P EZ in either .380 or 9MM.

I would not recommend the .380 version. I have not read about any problems with the 9mm version but the .380 I bought for my wife to use is going back to S&W. We have had it out twice. Each time we had 1 round out of 100 feed all the way out of the pistol without chambering. I believe it is sprung too lightly. I am going to send it in & see if they can straighten it out.

Edited to add: Both times it was the last round in the magazine. I researched this at the S&W forum & it appears that if you get a good one you are okay but this problem seems to pop up with a small percentage of the 380's. I didn't see any reports of problems with the 9mm EZ's.

cyborgt800

Single-Sixer
I'm glad I can still load the mag to capacity, insert, and rack the slide on my P90 one-handed with either hand without using anything to assist like a table or any other body part.

gollum

Bearcat
You can also try lower weight Wolff Recoil Spring. Be careful though, changing slide spring weight can drastically alter how your pistol operates. One reason to go with a lighter weight spring would be if you shoot a lot of subsonic ammunition and you're having feed issues. You can also use a lighter weight hammer spring to make that first double-action trigger pull lighter (read easier to shoot if you have arthritis or muscle issues).

roylt

Hunter
Hi Gollum, This post is a couple years old but I do enjoy the P-guns.

Welcome to the forum.

FWIW, I have developed a firm attachment to the Taurus G series guns. Have shown them to many women and have yet run into a lady that couldn't rack the slide, even on the full size model. It is striker fired, and has 2nd strike capability. That might possibly be an answer if the Colonel is still around.