P90 magazine followers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tercel89

Single-Sixer
on the p90 there 2 different magazines. One has a metal follower and the other is polymer. Which tends to work better ?

Aqualung

Blackhawk
tercel89 said:
on the p90 there 2 different magazines. One has a metal follower and the other is polymer. Which tends to work better ?

When my P90 was new, I had metal folowers in my 3 magazines (7-round). They seemed to cause two issues.

The first was that they dimpled the inside frame of my pistol. The marks were cosmetic only and didn't affect the operation of the gun.

The second was a little more significant. When shooting through the mags, when round #6 was fired, live round #7 would also eject with the spent case. It did that with all 3 of the magazines I had. I remedied it by swapping out all the mag springs and followers with Wilson Combat springs and followers. They not only worked flawlessly after that, but I got the added benefit of an extra round capacity for each.

I'd say that if given the choice, go with the plastic.

Aqualung

tercel89

Single-Sixer
Aqualung said:
tercel89 said:

When my P90 was new, I had metal folowers in my 3 magazines (7-round). They seemed to cause two issues.

The first was that they dimpled the inside frame of my pistol. The marks were cosmetic only and didn't affect the operation of the gun.

The second was a little more significant. When shooting through the mags, when round #6 was fired, live round #7 would also eject with the spent case. It did that with all 3 of the magazines I had. I remedied it by swapping out all the mag springs and followers with Wilson Combat springs and followers. They not only worked flawlessly after that, but I got the added benefit of an extra round capacity for each.

Aqualung

hey buddy , I think it was you over on the other Ruger forum That answered there too. Do you know what exact spring and follower I need to rebuild my metal follower magazines ? The part numbers ? Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

NikA

Buckeye
I'm relatively certain that P90 magazines are 1911 magazines with the catch cut in a different location. From Aqualung's previous post, it sounds like he used standard 1911 magazine internals to address the problems he had with his magazine.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
tercel89 said:
Aqualung said:
tercel89 said:

Aqualung

hey buddy , I think it was you over on the other Ruger forum That answered there too. Do you know what exact spring and follower I need to rebuild my metal follower magazines ? The part numbers ? Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Yep, that was me as well. It was so long ago, but NikA had it right. They were the standard 1911 mag setup. I did have to knock off a coil or two to get the last round in.

Let me check my Rugerforum.net archives and see if I can find the thread where Iowegan was helping me out.

Edit to add:
The thread...10 years ago...wow!
https://www.rugerforum.net/threads/ejection-of-last-loaded-round-p90-8-round-mags.20813/#post-209255

I think these are the ones you want
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Spring_Follower-Kit-Wilson-8-rd-45-ACP-Full-Size-Magazine/productinfo/47SFK-8/

Aqualung