LCPII in .22 problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5of7

Hunter
I bought an LCPII in .22 for the purpose of using it as an understudy to the LCP .380-- trigger control and that sort of thing. Lately a problem has developed; it fails to completely chamber the 3rd from the last round in the magazine. I have to push the slide home with my thumb to chamber it completely, then the other 2 chamber fine. At first I thought it could be gotten around by only loading 7 rounds instead of 10, but that doesn't work either, as when it fails to chamber properly, there are still 2 rounds left in the magazine. So, I am wondering if anyone else here has had this problem. Thoughts?

Never had that happen to mine. I'd suggest you give the chamber a good brushing with solvent, and try it again. Maybe with a couple different kinds of ammo, if you have the luxury of having some.

5of7

Hunter
arfmel said:
Never had that happen to mine. I'd suggest you give the chamber a good brushing with solvent, and try it again. Maybe with a couple different kinds of ammo, if you have the luxury of having some.
I considered that too, but if that was the problem, it seems to me like it would not be always the 3rd round from the bottom of the magazine.

recumbent

Buckeye
Clean and lube the gun and the magazine. Disassemble the mag clean and check for burrs on the inside of the mag. Insert the follower without the spring and see if it slides freely in the mag.

5of7

Hunter
recumbent said:
Clean and lube the gun and the magazine. Disassemble the mag clean and check for burrs on the inside of the mag. Insert the follower without the spring and see if it slides freely in the mag.

Did all that and the problem still persists.

5of7

Hunter
And I agree that is likely the magazine too. But the thing is that when I first started shooting it, that issue was not a problem. at first there were a lot of feeding issues and failures to fire and some of the ammo wouldn't even chamber because after the ammo drought during the Obama administration, there was a lot of junk produced under the name of ammo that had been quality stuff before the hoarding started. I have shot this little gun about 1500 times this summer and while it is still a little picky about what it eats, it functions much better than it did at the onset. Now that the weather is turning cold in Mi., I think I will send it back to Ruger and let them figure it out. Thanks for the opinions guys, I appreciate it.

PS: I will say that it fulfilled it's task of familiarizing me with the techniques required to shoot the little .380 LCP. It takes a while but now I can shoot the LCP .380 a lot better than I could before. Trigger control seems to be the name of the game with these little guns.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
My LCP .22 eats just about anything. Do yourself a favor and buy a two pack of extra mags for less than $40.00 delivered. If this gun is going to be a serious practice piece you need extras anyway.

5of7

Hunter
I think I fixed it. I have disassembled and cleaned the magazine several times so far, but a couple of days ago I took it apart again and looked it over on the inside really really closely. I saw what appeared to be a very slight accumulation of powder residue about 3/4" or so down from the top,in the channel in which the follower rises on it's way to the top. So I took a little wire brush and applied a little Hoppe's on it and scrubbed it out. Went out to the range and shot 3 magazines through it with no problem. It is a little cold now for extended shooting, but when spring comes, I will know for sure. Thanks for the interest guys.

5of7

Hunter
FergusonTO35 said:
My LCP .22 eats just about anything. Do yourself a favor and buy a two pack of extra mags for less than $40.00 delivered. If this gun is going to be a serious practice piece you need extras anyway.

I took your advice and have ordered 2 Mags from MagShak.