Ruger P345 45 ACP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Koyote

Bearcat
Back in early '60's, I carried a 1911 for four years. Had to qualify as expert with it every six months. No problems, but in 2006 when I looked around for one, I found it to be too heavy and large for my hand. I discovered that the Ruger KP345PR was lighter, thinner and generally less bulky. It fit my hand nicely, so I picked it up and took my wife shooting with it. Although she only fired one magazine's worth of ammo thru it, she became down right giddy on the way home. She loved it, as did I. The P345 is a great alternative to the 1911, yet still have a .45 bullet go down the barrel towards your target.

loaded round

Hunter
The Ruger P345 is still alive and well and still resides in my nightstand drawer except when I take it to the range 3 or 4 times a year. You've got to believe in this pistol!

I actually like DA/SA pistols with hammers alot more than striker-fired ones. I gotta think that there is still a market out there with the P220 and CZ97 that would make sense for Ruger to get back into that space again. They must already have the tooling to make the P90 or the P345 - if they would ever decide to reintroduce one of those I would be all over it. The used market is pretty hit or miss on these, though I am getting close to pulling the trigger on one if I find a nice enough one.

Koyote

Bearcat
Although I carried a 1911 back in the early 60's, (yeah, I am olde), in 2006 when I decided to get something for HD, I found it too heavy and large for my hand, so after reading an article on the P345, I decided to check it out. It was lighter, narrower and generally smaller. Only $419 so I picked it up and never looked back. It was accurate and still have not had a FTF or FTE with it. The recoil was not excessive and my wife wanted to try it out. It was her first time. She shot a magazine's worth and thoroughly enjoyed it. On the way home, she started laughing and got down right giddy over it and said she wanted to go out again, soon. Alas, the Big 'C' got to her and she passed soon after, but I still have a photo of her sweet smile pointing to the holes in the target she had made.
Anyways, anything that can bring out a smile like hers is definitely something I can recommend. A decade later, with my eyes getting a little weaker, I did replace the sights with MePro larger white dots. Awesome!