P89 slide swap possible ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tercel89

Single-Sixer
Has anyone here swapped a P89 DC on their P89 safety/decock frame ? Will it work ? I dont want to mess stuff up . Any help is apprciated.

hittman

Staff member
Wow .... this questions does take us to the way back time machine. I remember this being discussed here a bit back in the day.

Hope one of the few "P nuts" on the board will see this and chime in.

I think - but am not certain - that it CAN be done but with some minor modifications.

tercel89

Single-Sixer
Anyone know for sure ? I think that the p89 frames are the same weather it has a decock only slide or the safety slide. Can anyone confirm one way or the other ? Any information is appreciated.

roylt

Hunter
You have to change the trigger bar and maybe a couple other small parts to make it work. If you look at the old manuals for each Ruger includes an exploded view to compare.

I used to tinker on the P-series a lot and swapped just about everything. Even made a P95 into a DC unit but had to mod the frame for the trigger bar to make it work. Also took a 89DAO and made it into a 89DA unit. Took a bit of grinding on the slide to fit a spurred hammer in but it was a fun project.

Been a long time but I think the big deal is the trigger bar.

Good luck and keep the P-guns alive!!!

I'm not so sure about that Roylt.... I bought a number of years ago a KP89x.... one of the ones that could be converted from 9mm to 30cal Luger....(just a different barrel and recoil spring) these all were safety models.... I put a P89dc upper on it and it works fine.

but then I also figured out how to convert the older p89 to accept the newer magazines.... you trim about 2mm off the top of the mag catch.

tercel89

Single-Sixer
Awesome ! Thanks everyone ! I put my decocker only on my decock-safety model frame and it all works ! No damaged frame parts either after test firing .