LCPII : Is it a high mileage gun ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tercel89

Single-Sixer
I have a Ruger LCPII and it's been great. I am wanting to know if it's a high mileage gun like some guns that go maybe 20,000 rds or so ? I reload and I am thinking about getting some dies to reload the .380ACP to shoot more with my LCP . I just didn't know if these guns are limited to a certain amount of rounds .

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
I've talked to Ruger on this subject with reference to the original LCP. They didn't offer any numbers but I do not think you should hope for or expect high round counts like large framed 9mms offer. Many Glocks go well over 100K rds and Beretta says many PX9 Storms go 150K.

These guns are for the most part carry a lot shoot a little in my view. Don

louchia

Single-Sixer
After my earlier experiences with the LCP having cracked metal frame inserts at about 1000 rnds,with 3 different guns, I now have an LCP II. So far I have about 1600 rnds thru and not signs of ware on the metal frame insert and no other issues.

The KelTec 3AT is the original. The LCP is an very close copy. They are not a high round gun, and priced accordingly. I shoot mine maybe 150 rounds a year to maintain proficiency, and use up carry ammo. Good luck!
gramps

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
The LCP family is inexpensive enough that its probably worth buying two. One for a lot of range time and one that after proven reliable gets carried and shot seldom.

tercel89

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys . I think I'll just save my extended shooting for my Glocks and 1911's. I agree that the LCP is probably just a 100 round a year gun. Thanks for the input .

louchia

Single-Sixer
rammerjammer said:
The LCP family is inexpensive enough that its probably worth buying two. One for a lot of range time and one that after proven reliable gets carried and shot seldom.
I agree. One for carry and one to shoot and maintain proficiency. The small size of the gun requires more range time to remain proficient at point and shoot as might be required in a SD situation. IMHO

tercel89

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
If you reload, you can make mild practice ammo that is easy on you and the gun. I like 2.5 grains Bullseye under a 100 grain lead slug.

I do reload 9mm and 45 . So I may get some dies and try a little.

mpalm

Single-Sixer
I have 2 thousand rounds through my Pocket 380....but I wouldn't push it much more than that.
They are tiny and light and probably wont stand up to long term abuse?

NO they are not even close. Actually a cheaply made gun. Want a high mileage Pocket gun. Get a Bereta Pico. And I speak with a lot of experience shooting these guns.

My thoughts: Two ways to look at this subject.
1: Shoot it until it breaks or becomes undependable and replace it.
2: Shoot it enough to assure it's functionality and then only shoot it enough to maintain handling skills.

I'd select #2 and that's how I'm going to proceed with my new G2C. Probably run a couple hundred rounds through it to find a load I consider good and then a few here and there to make sure I can make it work. I already know HOW to shoot, it's just a matter of maintaining familiarity with the gun.

No way, Not even close to comparison. I have many pictures of all kinds of LCP's issues. I was one of the first to buy one when they came out. I had 4 of them totally replaced. I know these guns well. I am a pocket gun enthusiast and have been shooting on a diligent training schedule for 10 yrs. The Pico is all stainless steel chassis. Break down the Pico and compare both. The LCp's, you have to be careful and check them close at around the 1500 rd mark for cracks etc on the cheap aluminum frame. Broken take down pins, split rails and on and on.
I own three Pico's. One has gone over the 6,000 rd mark and still trucking. Heck the Pico even ships with a stainless steel guide rod. Look at the take down Pin. Beefy and stainless steel. Compare sights, lol, that alone should tell you what top shelf is.
The Pico is hands down, ounce for ounce one of the finest guns made. A really tough gun. I am a true believer. Also like Kahrs of which I have two.
More accurate. NO frigging way. the Pico is so mild to shoot. The LCP is brutal by comparison. No problem for me to rapid fire fast head shots at 15 yds with the Pico.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I recently got me a .22 LCP II and love it. In .22 LR it should be a high mileage gun no problem. I feed mine Aguila Interceptor 40 grain, which run 1002 FPS across my chronograph from this little bugger.

davevabch said:
NO they are not even close. Actually a cheaply made gun. Want a high mileage Pocket gun. Get a Bereta Pico. And I speak with a lot of experience shooting these guns.

The good part is they will keep on replacing them. However, they got tired of it with me and told me in so many words that I was getting close to not getting any more. I gave up shooting them and have the last one they gave new and just do not shoot it much.