LCPII : Is it a high mileage gun ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

davevabch said:
davevabch said:
NO they are not even close. Actually a cheaply made gun. Want a high mileage Pocket gun. Get a Bereta Pico. And I speak with a lot of experience shooting these guns.

The good part is they will keep on replacing them. However, they got tired of it with me and told me in so many words that I was getting close to not getting any more. I gave up shooting them and have the last one they gave new and just do not shoot it much.

If it's so bad, and the Pico is so good, not sure why you even lower yourself to use the Ruger. From the get go, I never assumed the LCPII as a high mileage Pocket gun. Thinking it's a light weight concealable, something to carry in a pinch. Apparently there's a market for those, maybe that's why they make it.

davevabch said:
davevabch said:
NO they are not even close. Actually a cheaply made gun. Want a high mileage Pocket gun. Get a Bereta Pico. And I speak with a lot of experience shooting these guns.

The good part is they will keep on replacing them. However, they got tired of it with me and told me in so many words that I was getting close to not getting any more. I gave up shooting them and have the last one they gave new and just do not shoot it much.

If it's so bad, and the Pico is so good, not sure why you even lower yourself to use the Ruger. From the get go, I never assumed the LCPII as a high mileage Pocket gun. Thinking it's a light weight concealable, something to carry in a pinch. Apparently there's a market for those, maybe that's why they make it.

toysoldier

Hunter
I have an older Llama .380. It's a 5/8th copy of a 1911, all-steel, and will probably hold up to a whole lot of shooting. Of course, it's bigger and heavier than my LCP.

Mobuck said:
My thoughts: Two ways to look at this subject.
1: Shoot it until it breaks or becomes undependable and replace it.
2: Shoot it enough to assure it's functionality and then only shoot it enough to maintain handling skills.

I'd select #2 and that's how I'm going to proceed with my new G2C. Probably run a couple hundred rounds through it to find a load I consider good and then a few here and there to make sure I can make it work. I already know HOW to shoot, it's just a matter of maintaining familiarity with the gun.

Certainly opposite of the way I have felt for over 10 years of shooting Pocket guns. The standard internet post are they are not meant to be shot often. Lol, wrong, why would you carry any firearm that you cannot become totally proficient with? They are meant to shoot often and the skills learned by diligent training and practice far exceed what the internet wants you to believe. These guns can very well do fast head shots at 15yds. This is all up to the shooter. And they can be extremely fast to the draw.
And if you really want to hone your skills, the LCP is NOT the firearm for this. There are pocket guns that will go the distance and then keep on trucking. My typical session is 150 rds to 200 rds at least twice a month and at least weekly 25 to 50 rds when I take other firearms to the range.

Folks if you carry a pocket gun, get proficient with them, they are great defensive weapons for EDC. Great Conceal ability, fast, and way more proficient than the internet crowd will let on to be. The LCP's are good for around 1500 to 2500 rds. And that is not acceptable for a gun you should train with. They will break down fast. However, Ruger will repair them and then replace them. (To a Point). Get a pocket gun with a stainless steel chassis and parts. If the manufacture say's the gun is NOT rated for Plus P do not buy. If the manufacturer says it is, that is a sign of quality and durability.