RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:45 pm 

Kevin wrote:
the slide locked open with more ammo in the magazine.
even once is far too much

The gun shoot low. Like 18 - 24 inches low at 10 yards.

Each of us have different expectations and decide how tolerant we can be with certain items.

I’m one to always give a semi-auto a fair shake with a break in of at least 300 rounds but,
those two things above from your review are deal breakers for me. Life’s too short and times too valuable and ammo is too expensive to put up with guns (tools) that aren’t reliable and dependable. But, that’s just me.

Love, love, love my Rugers but not the ones I have no confidence in.

My Glock 43 right out of the box digested 800 rounds over the first 2 weeks I owned it. Never a hiccup.

A year ago I bought a Glock 19x ….. over 1000 rounds now and never even ONE issue.

Bought an old used Walther PP in 380 …… its flawless.

My Ruger Lightweight Commander in 9mm is also a perfectly functioning gun.

Once I finally decided to have higher standards I’ve had no regrets.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:39 pm 
Hawkeye

Thanks, I'm going to go back to the range this weekend. If I have the same results, I'm going to call Ruger on Monday and see if they can do anything about it. I do like Ruger pistols. I bought a 3inch GP100 this summer, and it's just fabulous. But for this Max 9 pistol to perform so poorly right out of the box is not right.

I really debated between this gun and the Glock 43X. If I send this Ruger back, I'm going to order the Glock.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:15 pm 
Hunter

Did you decide to send it back or keep it as is? I am interested in picking up one of these stack & a half micro pistols but undecided as to which manufacturer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:22 am 
Hawkeye

I have over 300 rounds thru my Max-9 with no issues what so ever. It is very accurate, way more so than me. Carries great in my Simply Rugged Cuda. This gun definitely gives me a big smile.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:08 am 
Hawkeye

First, I took it back to the range, all the problems were still there. The slingshot method of closing the slide didn’t work, and one more time, the slide locked open on a still loaded magazine. And yes, it still shot low, until the pistol got warm, not hot, just warm, and then the accuracy got even worse.

Because of all this, I did in fact send it back. I called, and I got the impression the guy I spoke with just didn’t really believe me. He had me take the slide off and look at the slide lock lever. It functioned just fine. So he finally gave me a Fed Ex shipping label.

Overall I do like the gun, the grip is nice, and the trigger is exceptional. I’ll report back here what they do.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:45 pm 
Hunter

hittman wrote:
Kevin wrote:
the slide locked open with more ammo in the magazine.
even once is far too much

The gun shoot low. Like 18 - 24 inches low at 10 yards.

Each of us have different expectations and decide how tolerant we can be with certain items.

I’m one to always give a semi-auto a fair shake with a break in of at least 300 rounds but,
those two things above from your review are deal breakers for me. Life’s too short and times too valuable and ammo is too expensive to put up with guns (tools) that aren’t reliable and dependable. But, that’s just me.

Love, love, love my Rugers but not the ones I have no confidence in.

My Glock 43 right out of the box digested 800 rounds over the first 2 weeks I owned it. Never a hiccup.

A year ago I bought a Glock 19x ….. over 1000 rounds now and never even ONE issue.

Bought an old used Walther PP in 380 …… its flawless.

My Ruger Lightweight Commander in 9mm is also a perfectly functioning gun.

Once I finally decided to have higher standards I’ve had no regrets.

This guy right here just nailed it. I'm a Ruger fan too but their post SR9 series pistols have been mostly subpar. There are too many other good choices out there to fool with them.

"It ain't who shoots first and it ain't who shoots most; it's who HITS first. A corollary - the sooner you kill that SOB, the sooner he'll quit shooting at you. The ability to hit what you're shooting at trumps all others, and hanging 47 accessories from a cheese-grater forearm and having a 30 round magazine won't help that - practice will." -Rugerforum.com member WWB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:18 pm 
Hunter

Kevin wrote:
First, I took it back to the range, all the problems were still there. The slingshot method of closing the slide didn’t work, and one more time, the slide locked open on a still loaded magazine. And yes, it still shot low, until the pistol got warm, not hot, just warm, and then the accuracy got even worse.

Because of all this, I did in fact send it back. I called, and I got the impression the guy I spoke with just didn’t really believe me. He had me take the slide off and look at the slide lock lever. It functioned just fine. So he finally gave me a Fed Ex shipping label.

Overall I do like the gun, the grip is nice, and the trigger is exceptional. I’ll report back here what they do.

Thanks for the update. I keep looking at this type of pistol & more choices keep coming available. I don't have to buy anything right now but eventually I will probably wind up with one of this type. I would be interested to know what customer service does.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:54 pm 
Hawkeye

Quote:
I would be interested to know what customer service does.

I too am curious. Whatever it was, through email, I saw they got the pistol yesterday, and I just got a tracking number from Fed Ex, I’ll have it back on Monday. I certainly hope it’s better!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:41 pm 
Hawkeye

I got my Max 9 back this morning. The paper work said they replaced the slide stop spring. It also said they test fired 40 rounds of ammo without any issue. I hope it's fixed. I'll get out and test it as soon as I can.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:33 pm 
Bearcat

Looked at a Shield Plus and a Hellcat. The Max 9 floated my boat so I bought it.

200 rounds without a hiccup. Unfortunately some of the ranges at my club were closed and I was stuck with a 25 yard outdoor range on a windy day. Not my choice for testing a new carry, buttttt....

It shot slightly to the right and about 10" low. Drifting the rear sight brought it to center. I suspect at normal ranges it will shoot to aim.

As far as slide stop or slingshot, it performed as expected. No issues at all. 100% reliable. Comparable to my Glock, but much more attractive.

Verrrrry happy with this new pistol.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:31 am 
Bearcat

How did you move the rear sight? I tried to move mine with a brass punch
and hammer, but it would not move. Did you use a sight tool?
Thanks for any info...
Denny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:57 pm 
Bearcat

leadhead2 wrote:
How did you move the rear sight? I tried to move mine with a brass punch
and hammer, but it would not move. Did you use a sight tool?
Thanks for any info...
Denny

First of all I field stripped the gun so I could lay the slide down firmly on its side on a hard surface covered with a cloth. I marked the sight position with a pencil, then I tapped it with a hardwood dowel and a tack hammer. It took a couple of fairly hard taps. No more difficult than any other dovetailed sight I adjusted in the past.

In follow up to my last comments, she now has 350 rounds down the pipe and has smoothened up nicely. Yet to see any malfunction at all. At 10 yards, it shoots 2" low. On target at 5 yards. I added a CT red dot reflex and its now dialed in at between 10-15 yards.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:32 pm 
Bearcat

Thank you sir.... I'll give that a try.
Denny

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:31 pm 
Hawkeye

A good review. Gives a good indication of what it's capable of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU9bkj4Sev8

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:32 pm 
Hunter

How is the force required to cycle the slide? Lately there has been a lot of discussion about this especially for women and arthritis challenged people. How does it cycle compared to a S&W EZ9 Shield? Wondering because my wife doesn't like cycling what I have available.

CFC Member: EXTRASHOT
NRA Life Member

Last edited by xtratoy on Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next