Ruger Max-9 . . . MERGED THREADS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

leadhead2

Bearcat
I ended up with a Azula OWB holster for my max 9. Very nice workmanship.
Now, I'm looking for a cross draw holster.
Denny

I went ahead and ordered a Simply Rugged Cuda for my MAX-9. It came yesterday, less than 3 weeks from order time.
While my Security-9 Cuda worked, there was a lot of extra length not needed. The new holster conceals way better. I highly recommend Rob Leahy's Simply Rugged holsters for semi autos or revolvers.

leadhead2

Bearcat
How come there's not a lot of talk about the Max 9?
When they first came out, there was a lot of chatter,
now, not so much.
leadhead

What a great gun! I ordered it on Saturday from Grab-a-Gun, $429 for the Pro model (no external thumb safety). I picked it up on Tuesday and went shooting today.

The trigger: I love the trigger, it's completely smooth through the whole motion from start to finish. There doesn't seem to be a clear discernable point at which the gun fires, so I'm not even sure if "trigger creep" would be the right term. It couldn't be more than 5 pounds, if that. Very nice.

The grip: Very nice. It actually has some complaints online. I think I watched most You Tube videos about the Max 9. Some people didn't like the grip angle, others didn't like the texture. I'm just not sure why. To me it felt very positive without being too aggressive. With the 12 round magazine, there is plenty of room from my little pinky finger, which really isn't that little. I also appreciate how, no matter how high I make my hands grip the gun there is absolutely no issue with potential slide bite. I have a Kimber EVO, and that is always a concern.

Other reviews said the whole gun is "blocky." But I don't get that either. Honestly all the guns in this class of sub-compact look so similar. This gun actually looks nicer than the Taurus, or the S&W Shield, and very, very similarly looking to the Hellcat.

63HjKxXl.jpg

The not so good:
I'm not sure why, but if the slide is locked back, say after finishing a magazine, and I insert a loaded magazine, the "slingshot method" to close the slide won't work. I have to use the slide stop button on the side. BUT, if the slide is closed, and I insert a loaded magazine, then I can use the slingshot method to load a round into the chamber. I'm not sure why this is, but it's annoying, no other gun I have does this. Has anyone else noticed this? It's very strange.

On one round out of around 100, the slide locked open with more ammo in the magazine. I'm left handed, so I know I definitely did NOT touch the slide stop button in any way. But, even once is far too much, especially for a carry gun. I'm going back next weekend to see if this happens again. One reviewer online said his Max 9 did it so much, he sent the gun back to Ruger, and they replaced the frame. Hmmm.... wonder if this is a bigger issue.

Also bad, (last one) The gun shoot low. Like 18 - 24 inches low at 10 yards. I was having to aim above the target in order to hit anything. The accuracy is there, because the groups were really impressive. Nice and tight, all rounds grouped right in the center of the target, if I aimed well above that is. The same review who returned his gun also mentioned shooting low. After returning his gun, he said it did in fact shoot much better... Otherwise, the sights are very nice. The front fiber optic sight has a really big dot. It makes picking up the target quick and easy.

I'll know more after I put another 100 rounds through the gun. But I do very much like it. When shooting, the gun wasn't "snappy" like lots of people said. Perhaps I just have a tight grip, but the recoil wasn't bad at all. And like I said, the gun is accurate.

Oh, and I was using factory ammo, Remington 115 grain.

hittman

Staff member
Kevin said:
the slide locked open with more ammo in the magazine.
even once is far too much

The gun shoot low. Like 18 - 24 inches low at 10 yards.

Each of us have different expectations and decide how tolerant we can be with certain items.

I'm one to always give a semi-auto a fair shake with a break in of at least 300 rounds but,
those two things above from your review are deal breakers for me. Life's too short and times too valuable and ammo is too expensive to put up with guns (tools) that aren't reliable and dependable. But, that's just me.

Love, love, love my Rugers but not the ones I have no confidence in.

My Glock 43 right out of the box digested 800 rounds over the first 2 weeks I owned it. Never a hiccup.

A year ago I bought a Glock 19x ….. over 1000 rounds now and never even ONE issue.

Bought an old used Walther PP in 380 …… its flawless.

My Ruger Lightweight Commander in 9mm is also a perfectly functioning gun.

Once I finally decided to have higher standards I've had no regrets.

Thanks, I'm going to go back to the range this weekend. If I have the same results, I'm going to call Ruger on Monday and see if they can do anything about it. I do like Ruger pistols. I bought a 3inch GP100 this summer, and it's just fabulous. But for this Max 9 pistol to perform so poorly right out of the box is not right.

I really debated between this gun and the Glock 43X. If I send this Ruger back, I'm going to order the Glock.

Mike J

Hunter
Did you decide to send it back or keep it as is? I am interested in picking up one of these stack & a half micro pistols but undecided as to which manufacturer.

First, I took it back to the range, all the problems were still there. The slingshot method of closing the slide didn't work, and one more time, the slide locked open on a still loaded magazine. And yes, it still shot low, until the pistol got warm, not hot, just warm, and then the accuracy got even worse.

Because of all this, I did in fact send it back. I called, and I got the impression the guy I spoke with just didn't really believe me. He had me take the slide off and look at the slide lock lever. It functioned just fine. So he finally gave me a Fed Ex shipping label.

Overall I do like the gun, the grip is nice, and the trigger is exceptional. I'll report back here what they do.