RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Max-9
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:27 pm 
Bearcat

I put an optic (Holosun 507k) on mine, I love it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:20 am 
Hawkeye

I use various red dots on all of my hunting handguns, but plan on open sights for EDC...for now anyway.

My bedside Security 9 has a Streamlight laser/light combo on it.

Post subject: Re: New Max 9........
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:02 pm 
Bearcat

I ended up with a Azula OWB holster for my max 9. Very nice workmanship.
Now, I'm looking for a cross draw holster.
Denny

Post subject: Re: Ruger Max-9
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:04 am 
Hawkeye

I've had mine for a few weeks now. I have run just under 100 round through it so far. Flawless so far, with 115, 124, and 147 grain ammo. Love the sights. This is now my EDC gun, in a Simply Rugged Cuda.

Post subject: Re: Ruger Max-9
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:46 pm 
Bearcat

Where is the best place to order 12 round mags from? I want to get a couple extra.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:48 pm 
Bearcat

Where is the best place to order extra 12 round mags?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:07 am 
Hawkeye

I used my 20% off from Ruger and ordered the 2-pack.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:45 am 
Hawkeye

I went ahead and ordered a Simply Rugged Cuda for my MAX-9. It came yesterday, less than 3 weeks from order time.
While my Security-9 Cuda worked, there was a lot of extra length not needed. The new holster conceals way better. I highly recommend Rob Leahy's Simply Rugged holsters for semi autos or revolvers.

Post subject: Max 9 ??
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:57 am 
Bearcat

How come there's not a lot of talk about the Max 9?
When they first came out, there was a lot of chatter,
now, not so much.
leadhead

Post subject: Re: Max 9 ??
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:25 am 
Hawkeye

It could be because it's a middle of the road plastic sub compact 9mm in a crowded field.

www.GeorgiaCarry.org

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:09 am 
Bearcat

The LCP Max sure gets a lot of press and a lot of it bad. (no lock back after last round.)
leadhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:16 pm 
Hawkeye

I had mine out Friday and it still makes me smile at it's accuracy. Carries grat in my Simply Rugged Cuda holster.

Moderator edit :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:20 pm 
Buckeye

I haven’t seen any criticism about the LCP Max besides the lock back issues for some owners.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:46 am 
Hawkeye

This thread is about the MAX-9 . . . not the LCP MAX. Two entirely different guns.

Ruger didn't help the situation with the two very similar names. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:52 pm 
Hawkeye

What a great gun! I ordered it on Saturday from Grab-a-Gun, $429 for the Pro model (no external thumb safety). I picked it up on Tuesday and went shooting today.

The trigger: I love the trigger, it's completely smooth through the whole motion from start to finish. There doesn't seem to be a clear discernable point at which the gun fires, so I'm not even sure if "trigger creep" would be the right term. It couldn't be more than 5 pounds, if that. Very nice.

The grip: Very nice. It actually has some complaints online. I think I watched most You Tube videos about the Max 9. Some people didn't like the grip angle, others didn't like the texture. I'm just not sure why. To me it felt very positive without being too aggressive. With the 12 round magazine, there is plenty of room from my little pinky finger, which really isn't that little. I also appreciate how, no matter how high I make my hands grip the gun there is absolutely no issue with potential slide bite. I have a Kimber EVO, and that is always a concern.

Other reviews said the whole gun is "blocky." But I don't get that either. Honestly all the guns in this class of sub-compact look so similar. This gun actually looks nicer than the Taurus, or the S&W Shield, and very, very similarly looking to the Hellcat.

The not so good:
I'm not sure why, but if the slide is locked back, say after finishing a magazine, and I insert a loaded magazine, the "slingshot method" to close the slide won't work. I have to use the slide stop button on the side. BUT, if the slide is closed, and I insert a loaded magazine, then I can use the slingshot method to load a round into the chamber. I'm not sure why this is, but it's annoying, no other gun I have does this. Has anyone else noticed this? It's very strange.

On one round out of around 100, the slide locked open with more ammo in the magazine. I'm left handed, so I know I definitely did NOT touch the slide stop button in any way. But, even once is far too much, especially for a carry gun. I'm going back next weekend to see if this happens again. One reviewer online said his Max 9 did it so much, he sent the gun back to Ruger, and they replaced the frame. Hmmm.... wonder if this is a bigger issue.

Also bad, (last one) The gun shoot low. Like 18 - 24 inches low at 10 yards. I was having to aim above the target in order to hit anything. The accuracy is there, because the groups were really impressive. Nice and tight, all rounds grouped right in the center of the target, if I aimed well above that is. The same review who returned his gun also mentioned shooting low. After returning his gun, he said it did in fact shoot much better... Otherwise, the sights are very nice. The front fiber optic sight has a really big dot. It makes picking up the target quick and easy.

I'll know more after I put another 100 rounds through the gun. But I do very much like it. When shooting, the gun wasn't "snappy" like lots of people said. Perhaps I just have a tight grip, but the recoil wasn't bad at all. And like I said, the gun is accurate.

Oh, and I was using factory ammo, Remington 115 grain.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next