RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RUGER 57 Questions
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:16 am 
Buckeye

Im just wondering if anyone else is shooting the Ruger 57? Are there likes or dislikes..Do you prefer the sights that came with it? Hard to call them iron when the front sight is a green tube. Does anyone use a red dot if so which one. r Im considering a red dot Burris for mine.
TIA Charlie

Post subject: Re: RUGER 57 Questions
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:48 am 
Hawkeye

If I had a 57, it would have a dot optic mounted. Not possible for me to utilize the range capabilities of a 5.7 w/o an optic of some sort. The Burris FastFire III is a great little sight but the only reason I would choose it over a FF2 is because the FF2 battery replacement requires removal of the sight and subsequent loss of zero.
Even the small dot optics can turn something like the 57 into a 100(++) yard handgun.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:57 am 
Buckeye

Thanks MOBUCK for your advice regarding a red dot. Looks like Ill be ordering a base plate for a burris FF3.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:10 pm 
Hawkeye

You're welcome. I've tried at least 1/2 dozen brands and models in the "reasonable" price range but the Burris seem to work better for me. The FF3 is what I'm using on my 22/45 "bragging pistol" and it's great at all ranges.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:05 am 
Single-Sixer

My 57 is extremely accurate with the regular sights. I've been toying with a quality red dot on a G19 and so far I shoot better with irons. This is the exact opposite with rifles where I shoot good with irons but much better with a red dot.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:25 am 
Buckeye

Interesting comment regarding accuracy. I've found mine to be very accurate, but with ammo non-existent ive limited my shooting opportunities. Last week my dies arrived and I've started reloading, so I'll have to decide soon whether or not a red dot will be appropriate for me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:50 pm 
Single-Sixer

You can get all the 5.7 ammo you want as long as you're willing to spend $1.60 a round! :shock: :?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:55 pm 
Buckeye

SteelBlue
As a transplanted NH Yankee residing in SW Oregon on the coast I can't or won't spend that much for ammo. I bought the dies and regardless of the experts on the internet who say beware trying to reload this round, I found it's as easy to reload as any other small caliber.
Dr Charlie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:09 am 
Hawkeye

With a dot optic, there's zero misalignment of front/rear sights so the only accuracy limiting factor is holding the gun on target. The quality and/or user compatibility of the dot optic makes a big difference.