.41 magnum Flattops

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flatgate

Hawkeye
It's come to my attention that some confusion may exist as to the origin of the .41 mag. calibre Ruger Blackhawks that have recently appeared on the market.

Some rumors have circulated that Country Music Entertainer and Shooter Hank Williams, Jr. was a "player" in the initial order. Well, that's just not the case. The guns were contracted by long time Ruger Distributor Williams Shooters Supply.

We here at Ruger Forum want the Members to be informed with accurate information.

Happy Trails,

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
Flatgate:
As far as I know, Williams did not have the exclusive on these guns when the first of them were built (the 6-1/2" model). Sent you details on how they came to Williams in an email (which came from the horse's mouth).
This model may not have become anybody's exclusive without their initial discovery by our collecting group and subsequent advertising on RF.
Chet15

BlkHawk73

Hunter
My understanding is that HW Jr was instrumental in this model but William's was just as instrumental in getting the run produced. Have all the notes someplace.

flatgate

Hawkeye
OK, here's a statement from SR&Co.'s General Counsel..

In the fall of 2009, Ruger produced a limited run of New Model Blackhawk revolvers chambered in .41 caliber with a flat top frame and Catalog No. S416N. Because of an internal data error, there was a miscommunication that this was a special Hank Williams, Jr. model or was otherwise somehow affiliated with Hank Williams, Jr. That is not the case. These revolvers were sold to Williams Shooters Supply, and should not be considered as a Hank Williams Jr. model. Corrected serial number letters have been sent out to the people who previously requested and received letters on this model. Anyone who called Ruger and received the erroneous information should take note of this correction. Ruger sincerely apologizes to its customers and Hank Williams, Jr. for any confusion this may have caused.

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
rugerguy":16bz80rr said:
Williams Sight Company guy told our dealer ( also a collector) it was their exclusive offer???? why would he BS....???? :roll:

Dan:
I know this is just a flub, but we're not talking about the Williams Sight Company....its Williams' Shooters Supply in Illinois.
As I said in my previous post...yes, the .41 flattop is now a Williams exclusive. But it is my understanding, that these guns never had anything to do with Williams the distributor before they were produced by the Ruger factory. It is my understanding that the keen eye of Mr. Williams himself tuned in to the fact that the S416N showed up on a list of available guns that the factory had....so Mr. Williams purchased the first 36-40 of those that were made.
Nobody's BS'ing anybody here.
When they became popular....is when Mr. Williams asked to have the exclusive on this model.
The 4-5/8" .41 flattop that we'll soon all see is a Williams exclusive from the get go.
Chet15[/b]

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
8) I would think one would be pleased to be affiliated with a particular model of firearm, particularly when one has an acknowledged affinity for the company's products over a long time period........ But then again, no one has asked me to do so, for a stainless steel 10'' Hawkeye ............... in 223 caliber. Of course, just my opinion early in the wane of a winter's morn, here in the NNW's...........MIKE

Hank Williams, Jr . . . Williams Shooters Supply . . . plenty of opportunity there for misinformation to get started and circulated.

Thanks, flatgate, for the facts.

;)

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
In thrity years when all you guys are gone, I will still have my three in a row with the original letters that say Hank Williams Jr. and I bet it will be one of those things that are worth more than the dang guns. Just got to wait until thin. By the way, in thirty years I will be in my prime!!

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
OK Flatgate, I searched the Ruger web site and can't find the info you listed. Can you point me in the correct direction for obtaining the word on these guns?

oh my I guess CRS took over, I said "sght company" instead of "Shooters Suppy", excuse me..............I don't deal with them, I only dealt with the "sight company" back in the 70's , and automatically said "sight co" and yes, my dealer ,Bill did say," supply", so whats the BIG deal??? sue me......
not the first time I said something in error and won't be the last......

you guys are starting to take the "fun" out of collecting................. :roll:

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
you guys are starting to take the "fun" out of collecting................. :roll:[/quote]

I completely agree. As a matter of fact, flattops are not flattops, they are Blackhawks. Three screws or old models are not three screws or old models, they too are Blackhawks. So there!!!!!!!!!!

Lets just pile them all together and forget the names and modifications.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Sorry.........You are incorrect. A Flattop is just that. If you do not have the book(s), do become advised of the differences. An earred model Blackhawk is not a Flattop, whether Old or New Model. There is a rather vast difference. :wink:

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
Where does it say flattop?? Not on the shipper, not on the box, not on the gun, not even on the manual. It is only a flattop because collectors say it is a flattop due to the original design. Ruge does call them old models in the recall literature but that is about it. As for the Hank Williams Jr special, my letters from Ruger states that is what they are so until Ruger send me something that states they were incorrect, they are what the letters say.

I do have the books which was written by someone other than the original designer. See it is us colletors that determine what is and what is not.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
seeemmiss said:
Where does it say flattop?? Not on the shipper, not on the box, not on the gun, not even on the manual. It is only a flattop because collectors say it is a flattop due to the original design.

What is the question, here? "WHAT DOES IT "LOOK LIKE" ? Gee, it has no ears and it looks like a Flattop......................Suggest you find another battle to fight. BTW, go off and look at the Anniversary FLATTOPS, please.
Like Larry the Cable Guy sez about his weird cousin............."He ain't got no ears"......Neither does a Flattop, no matter what the damn label sez...... :wink:

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
All I am saying is my letter from Ruger says the 41 "flattops" are Hank Williams Jr models and I see nothing but this post that says otherwise. I do know EXACTLY what a flattop is. I also know Ruger called the anniversary guns "flattops". The name comes from the lack of the protected sight "ears" as you have said. The name was created by collectors in the begining and would not have been called "flattops" by Ruger unless there was a collector following.

The reason for all of this is why attempt to discourage the "Hank Williams Jr" theory? Let it be!!!

As for you Mr. Hawkeye #28. Go have another drink. It is going to be OK.