Anyone partake of the CMP 1911 program?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Anyone else get a 1911 from CMP?

When the CMP got a bunch of surplus 1911's from the government I waffled and didn't get in on the lottery. Then they got a second batch and I decided to try get one to go with my M1, M1 Carbine, M1A1 (semi M14), and Armalite AR-15 (Semi-M16). My lottery number just came up and I was contacted by CMP yesterday at 8:30 AM.

I called the contact person at 10:00 AM and she went through everything to make sure I was eligible (I was) and what FFL to send it to (me of course). All they have left is Rack grade and those can be pretty rough at times but hey, it's a piece of history. Paid for it and she said depending on how things go it may be several days until it shows up. Lo and behold, FedEx express delivered it today at 10:30 am. It was shipped Priority Next Day.

Wow, for a Rack grade gun it is in great condition, grips are old but in almost perfect condition. The frame is by Ithaca and the slide by Remington Rand. Everything works perfectly (they get rebuilt and tested at CMP South (Anniston) )

This makes a great companion to my other US military main battle rifles, I just need to find a good 1903-A3 now.

I get some pics and post in the next few days.

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
I wanted to, but the price was too high for me to feel good about it so I passed. Congratulations on getting some functional history!

RSIno1

Hunter
When my dad was leaving Alaska at the end of WWII he was offered a new 1911 for $5. He declined because he wanted a revolver. I wonder how much stuff went out the back door at the time.

I was just like you. Missed the first lottery, and sent it in the day of the start of the second lottery. My number was picked, service grade, and it arrived at my FFL within a day or 2. Beautiful condition, just waiting until it cools off to go shooting.

Several photos. Note the carrying case, don't know how much it's worth, but very well made.

JkhEcAnh.jpg

ct8dxQZh.jpg

iMtDTAhh.jpg

hittman

Staff member
Looks like a case they sell at Harbor Freight here in the $35 to $40 range.

LOVE the gun.

Ron, nice looking gun, and neat case,,,, many gun company cases are made over here in Middlefield ,Ohio ( Flambeau) and those markings on the gun are most likely the arsenal that rebuilt the guns...Anniston?? you can still see the 'RIA" logo from a rebuild long ago.
at least they kept the markings near the serial number, and not spread out all over the gun....... 8) :roll: :wink:

Ale-8(1) said:
What's the significance of the "curved" notation right below the serial number? Something to do with the CMP?

From what I've been able to find out, not so much to do with the CMP but this one was probably rebuilt at the Anniston Army Depot (ANAD) in Sept 1975 (9 75) From there it would have gone into storage until the Army started turning them over to CMP last year and this year. All of the 1911's that CMP got went to the CMP South facility (Anniston, AL) where they were graded (Service, Field, Rack or Special (held for auction because of how good they were)). They were then disassembled, inspected, any parts that needed replaced were replaced, put back together and were test fired to insure they were safe.

wdodd

Bearcat
In the CMP's first 1911 lottery, my number came up and my selection was a Service Grade. Was very pleased with the one received.
For anyone not pleased, the 1911 could be returned with no problem providing of course, it had not be monkeyed with.
Have purchased many surplus items from CMP and cannot say enough good things about them or their service.

RoninPA said:
Ale-8(1) said:
What's the significance of the "curved" notation right below the serial number? Something to do with the CMP?

From what I've been able to find out, not so much to do with the CMP but this one was probably rebuilt at the Anniston Army Depot (ANAD) in Sept 1975 (9 75)

That makes sense. Thanks, Ron. :mrgreen: