Storage of firearms: what preservatives?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Seventy7rs

Single-Sixer
Looking for suggestions on storage of firearms, what oil, treatments, wraps to use. Mostly blued items with wood furniture. I remember years ago using some type of Chesterton spray for storing unfinished machine parts - apply in liquid form and it dried to a tacky solid so it would not drip off the parts. It removed with light solvent and a rag when we needed to use those parts. Thanks.

frankenfab

Single-Sixer
I use Birchwood Casey "Barricade" and silicone treated gun socks. If you want something like cosmoline, I recommend a CRC product called SP-400. It is a spray in a can which can easily be applied in a thin film. It dries to a wax consistency, and can be easily removed with WD-40. I used to use it to cover bare metal surfaces on used CNC machines before they were shipped.

the trouble with MOST of the sprays is the 'propellent' used to push it out of the can,,,hell , even WD-40 is OK in a pump bottle..... 8)

all these years we have only used 'RIG' and wipe it one with a sheepskin , NEVER, ever had any firearm rust or go south,(bad) great on wood, metal and plastic... 8) :roll: :wink:

hittman

Staff member
A quality guns safe with a dehumidifier is most convenient for me.

Then there's no chemicals or sprays or grease needed.

BigIron6

Single-Sixer
For long term storage I highly recommend Renaissance Wax. Great on blued metal, stainless, wood, cardboard, toast...

RSIno1

Hunter
I sprayed some pistols and a couple rifles with a good dose of WD40. The pistols went in plastic bags with the little silica packs and the rifles just stood in the safe. The propellant/solvents left the WD40 and a gooey coating was left behind that wiped off with more WD40. They were that way for about 15 years. It was SoCal so humidity wasn't even a consideration.

blammer

Single-Sixer
I really like Hornady OneShot GUN cleaner. Leaves a dry film lube behind. I use it every once in a while in addition to regular liquid lube. I like to think of it as a little extra insurance in case I can't clean and relube for some reason. It's not perfect, but it's always been near the top of rust-resistant lubes in tests I've read.

It's especially good at spraying into hard-to-reach places to give some non-dirt-attracting protection. You can do this in addition to the other techniques mentioned