Super Blackhawk Hunter grip change

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GD1656

Single-Sixer
I have a SBH Hunter in 44 that has the Bisley grip .I bought it new years ago. What would i need to change to plow handle and SBH hammer ? Son and grandson dont like the Bisley grip--so i might change it before they get it Thanks Paul

G2

Hunter
Converting a SBH Hunter Bisley to SBH Hunter…

Hunter Grip Frame KHR00300
Super Hammer KMR04001
Blackhawk Trigger KXR03901
Super Blackhawk Grips (70095) however lots of other options here.
2 ea back screws (KXR01800) the Bisley has hex screws that can be moved over but Ruger uses 2 ea "B" screws/slotted, the 3 bottom screws move over.

The grip panel locator pin 5/32 roll pin, I like to use a piece of solid stock turning the ends in a drill using a file to slightly taper the ends. Doing this trues up the panels better, IMO.
Trigger return spring pin (KXR06300) can be moved over BUT the new parts are easy to acquire, so I don't transfer. FWIW this pin "can be" difficult to move.

Trigger Spring and capture pin move easy
Captured Hammer Spring, Strut & Saddle move over easily.

Transfer bar, Pawl, pawl spring/ plunger, cylinder latch & spring/plunger, gate spring, stay.

GD1656

Single-Sixer
G2--where would you suggest i get parts needed ? Should i post a WTB and see if anyone has gone from Plowhandle to Bisley or are there other sources ? Thanks Paul

GD1656

Single-Sixer
After speaking to Ruger, I may hold out and look for a reg Hunter model. Then i can compare and sell one or the other. Parts would be $ 300 + Thanks for your help. Paul

Hondo44

Hawkeye
G2 has given you an excellent run down on the swap!

But as you found out, the rule of thumb is: since Ruger makes the model you want, it's MUCH EASIER, CHEAPER, and LESS HASSLE to just buy the model you want and sell yours!

But you do have an option of a smooth or grooved SBH trigger:
At some point over time between 2004 to 2012 Ruger phased in smooth triggers instead of grooved on SBHs. grooved triggers can still be found if not from Ruger.

Latest posts