3-Screw Ejector Rod Screw

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
Hey guys,
I have a late 3-screw Blackhawk that I am trying to find an ejector rod housing screw for. The current ejector rod screw is the current production #8-36 screw with a head of .217" in diameter.
I have a brass ejector rod housing that fits, but I need a screw with a 1/4" diameter head, but with the #8-36 threads. Does such a screw exist or do I need to come up with a custom solution? I was thinking I might be able to get a cap screw (Allen head) that has the correct threads and a large head diameter that I can turn down to the correct size.

Any ideas?

oh and a picture of the gun.....1972 vintage 3-screw 357 Blackhawk with 1851 Navy brass grip frame that I custom fit along with some home-made bloodwood grips.

WpO3Xw2l.jpg

and the brass ejector rod housing

mNVobKql.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Since your ejector rod housing needs a 1/4" diameter cap screw, that means it was made for earlier Rugers that had a threaded stud sticking off of the barrel. But Ruger threaded those larger head screws 6-40. So there's no Ruger screw available. If you call Ruger, they will send you the 1/4" cap screw free of charge.

Then if it were my gun, I would face off the 6-40 threaded portion in your lathe, drill a hole and tap for 8-36 with a bottoming tap. Screw in an 8-36 screw and loctite it in place. Then cut the head off the screw and leave a threaded stud the length of the original factory housing screw thread length.

Your idea of an 8-36 allen screw with head turned down in your lathe, then slotted for a screwdriver is likely easier for you to make. You could weld up the allen wrench hole and slot the head, then blue it or brass plate it.

Another solution is to get a current Ruger housing in steel with the small screw hole. Then have the housing and screw brass plated.

Let us know how it turns out.

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
Anyone know what size ERH screws on the Colt SAA or copies are? I read that USFA guns used the same thread pitch (8-36) but does anyone know the diameter of the screw head?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Sure do and there's none the size you need or I would have told you.

Colt 2nd and 3rd gen SAs:

Ejector housing attachment stud/screw: = 6x40 (same size and cap as Ruger Bearcat, same thread as early Rugers with studded barrels and housings that use the .245" cap.

Later Ruger has same size cap as Colt .217", but has 8x36 thread for barrel w/o stud, same as USFA (no barrel stud like Colt has) ejector screw 8x36 and all other Colt clones I know of.

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
Thanks Hondo!

I ordered some Allen/socket head cap screws and some 1" Fillister head screws. I'll see which looks the best

Thanks again for the assistance!

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
I was able to make an allen head cap screw work, although I am still planning on fitting a fillister head screw with a spacer so the head of the screw fits flush

Here is what it looks like fitted

N2wJkVhl.jpg

7mXvwiil.jpg

the fit is really good

then I found this ad, could be the source of this brass erh

s6o2ChMl.jpg

Latest posts