Flitz polish

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Anybody use Flitz polish on factory blued guns...?

Any cautions..??

Thanks,

J.

I never have as those are actually an abrasive , even Mothers polish, hell I knew old timers that smoothed out Colt actions with toothpaste.... :shock:
I've used Flitz on stainless, for years till the local bikers ( who displayed their bikes) put us on to Mothers and that is better, on chrome, nickel and high polish stainless...about the only polish I know folks use on "blued" guns is 'Renaissance Wax" they say it works again, I use ONLY 'RIG" on any of our guns "outsides" surface........... 8) :roll: :wink:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Well, I tried it today.... I had done a sloppy job of applying Blue Wonder to remove the dreaded cylinder line from a Colt cyl. I probably used too much heat during the application and it left 'stains' that wouldn't come off with CLP. I carefully and gently applied a light coat of Flitz to the entire cylinder and it cleaned up beautifully.

FYI,
J.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Get Wood said:
By Cleaning Up, Did It Take The Blueing Off ???

It did NOT appear to have removed any of the original blueing.

It did appear to be removing a 'rust color' as I kept applying the Flitz and 'refreshing' to clean spots of rag/Flitz (each 'refresh of the rag kept pulling off significant amount of rust color). I believe that the Blue Wonder sets up a corrosive process that is controlled by the developer and then the CLP clean-up. They specifically require CLP and NOT Rem Oil, Hoppes etc.
https://www.bluewonderguncare.com

I applied the Flitz a second time after noting it was doing what I had hoped. More gently this time. I wiped it off, inspected.... great results.... CLP again, wiped again...inspect and done. Final CLP application and put it away because BW is supposed to 'cure' in 3 days (of course, who knows after the Flitz). The BW covered the ring satisfactorily.... NOT professionally; rest of cyl looks good and the timing has been fixed thanks to guidance by our own Hondo44.

Hope this helps,
J.

338reddog

Single-Sixer
Years ago flitz said it would not remove bluing. Can't remember if I ever tried it on a blued gun though
It does say you can use it on blued guns. Just searched if it will remove blueing

jgt

Buckeye
When Flitz first came out the guy selling it came into the gun shop I was at and claimed that it removed rust on guns most people thought were clean. He ask me for my gun to demonstrate. He rubbed some on and when he rubbed it off the cloth was rust colored. It left the impression the product cleaned rust off the otherwise clean looking gun. Blue on a gun is the result of a rust process. The conclusion I came to is he was removing a light coat of blue the way you remove oxidized paint on a car with rubbing compound. It did make the gun shine but with time was bound to make the blue start to wear thin like a heavily used gun. I decided it was something to use on a stainless gun, but not my blue ones. Some people use it for polishing cylinders and barrels, but I get faster and better results from rubbing compounds in selected grit sizes.

Johnnu2

Hunter
YUP.... makes good sense....
Won't be pressing my luck with further applications of Flitz.

THANKS for the thoughts.

J.

AkRay

Single-Sixer
Flitz does thin the bluing and if you apply it too many times it leaves fine scratches behind. I used it when I first heard of it and it did make my blue revolvers shinier looking, but it's easy to go overboard with it.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Will take off Ruger Target grey very well :roll: Had a scratch that was very noticable. Just wanted to blend it a bit. Cannot see the scratch anymore because its somewhere in the thumbsize shiny spot.

G2

Hunter
A lot of "opinions" here, I'm not offering my opinion but thought the information on the bottle is informative… :wink:
AND on the front label it is noted; ECO-SAFE GREEN PRODUCT.
51402823375_f9b66e7931_c.jpg

FWIW; Never Dull is a great product for cleaning up & polishing Brass Grip Frames, and has/is used often, HOWEVER it is QUICK to attack bluing, I no longer use it on anything firearm related, especially anything near BLUE Steel. :shock:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thanks G2.... I'm using a paste version; comes in a tube like toothpaste.... Had it for years. Of course, I never read labels... probably should start.
The good news is that it did work for what I needed and won't be pushing my luck....
J.

Latest posts