Making Six series revolver DAO hammers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Here's my first try at modifying Six Series hammers to make them DAO. Replacements are hard to find so I thought I'd see what I could do with a standard hammer.
I know, the pictures aren't the greatest, I need to get out the good camera.

Top are standard, below are the modded ones
d3kd5IPh.jpg

Middle is a OEM DAO hammer (blued)
blyqrLzh.jpg

Middle is a OEM DAO hqammer (blued)
PCTv79Ih.jpg

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Six series were actually regular hammers just de horned.They had the top checkered so you could potentially start the hammer back with the trigger then cock them. When modified to DAO like the Canadian police did it was an aftermarket alteration. Canadians often made the hammer sear dao and left the horn on the hammer to fit regular holsters too.

NikA said:
Can't tell from your pictures, did you remove the single action sear? Does the OEM reference have the single action sear finished.

I did not remove the SA sear and as protoolman said, Ruger left the SA sear on their "DAO" Six series hammers and checkered the very top for a "thumb grasp". I've looked at the one OEM I have (last one) and the SA sear is there but not as finished as on a DA/SA hammer. It looks like it might catch the trigger but it would be unstable to say the least. I haven't checkered the top of mine yet, don't know if I'm going to. I might just put serrations that are horizontal like on some SA hammers, but I'll probably just leave it alone.

Even the GP100's sold to the NYCPD (GPNY's) have the checkering on the top but they either have no SA notch or a unfinished one that doesn't allow the trigger to catch. I just tried two of mine and they will not hold when cocked, but I haven't taken one apart to actually look at the notch (or lack thereof). Maybe tomorrow I'll do that and report back what I find.

Took one of my DAO GPNY's apart to look at the sear. It's just like the sear on a OEM DAO hammer. The notch is there but it is very shallow to almost - almost invisible. There is enough that if you cock the hammer carefully you can feel the "notch" but the trigger won't engage. It would not take much to make it a SA/DA hammer with no spur.

Latest posts