General help needed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I can work on a lot of different handguns, both SA and DA, especially if I have something to reference back to. In this case, I have no references, no pictures, no nothing.

This is a black powder replica, 44 caliber, imported by FIE (no idea how long ago, nor does the owner know - it was his grandfathers). The cylinder latch is not operating at all, stays down no matter what. I want to take it apart to see if I can see anything out of the ordinary.

The grips do not have a screw so I am assuming they are held in place by the frame. Grip frame looks to be a 2 piece. I want to take it apart but not sure where to start, I don't want something falling out and I don't know where/how it goes back in.

Here's some pictures, maybe someone can say it is a replica of a **** and then I can find a schematic of it to help me out. There are no markings other than the mfg (PR) and FIE on the bottom of the grip frame and "black powder only" stamped on the barrel.

7LLzbVgh.jpg

ddOyo2Oh.jpg

mwP94BUh.jpg

1AsgyuMh.jpg

Thanks for looking and any advise you can give.

Bodie

Bearcat
That's a brass frame 51 Navy copy. You will find s broken spring once you get it apart.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I can tell you that all the 'one-piece' grips that I've ever had come off in exactly the same way. You losen the screw at the bottom of the butt section and then you loosen the screws on the right and left side of the hammer. I usually loosen and remove these three screws a little at a time because there is often some torque involved in getting that bottom screw in and out. Once you remove that backstrap, the grips usually come off with it. Then, I'm quite sure that you won't find any surprises once then move onto removing the trigger guard portion of the frame. Can't tell you about the innards of the gun, but logic says, they are pretty simple in design and mechanics.

J.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You can also just take out the 4 trigger guard screws and the hammer spring will usually push it loose and come out attached. Or take off the entire grip frame. To replace just the trigger guard, be sure to hook the mainspring forward of the hammer roller then sqeeze and hold the trigger guard into place until you get the 4 screws started in the threads.

Once the guard is off, you'll see a large headed screw attaching a wishbone spring to the frame. You'll find one leg of the spring which tensions the cyl stop is broken or weak. The other leg is the trigger return spring. Replace the wishbone spring. Usually a Colt single action Army replacement spring (factory or aftermarket; it'll be a better quality spring than the FIE spring) works fine, sometimes a little fitting on the sides is needed to fit the frame slot the spring sits in. You can adjust the trigger pull by bending the trigger spring leg carefully.

Thanks for all the answers. Took it apart and the cylinder stop spring (flat spring) was broken. Got a new one on order from Wolff but went with their upgraded spring as others said the flat spring is ok but the wire spring is so much better.

Put everything in the ultrasonic because it was just packed with crud. Actually took 2 30 minute sessions to get everything out.

While I wait for the springs to come in I'll start polishing the brass pieces to make it look nice and clean up the burrs on the cylinder that were probably caused by the inop cylinder stop.

Thanks for the education.

G2

Hunter
Probably to late now,
But that is some very nice patina on the brass that has taken years to accumulate. Some nice easy handling keeps the good stuff and keeps the gun in "vintage condition"

It's interesting how now the trend is to finish old black powder guns where they look old, well used and cared for. Methods are sought after to accomplish this.

G2 said:
Probably to late now,
But that is some very nice patina on the brass that has taken years to accumulate. Some nice easy handling keeps the good stuff and keeps the gun in "vintage condition"

It's interesting how now the trend is to finish old black powder guns where they look old, well used and cared for. Methods are sought after to accomplish this.

Thanks for the input. Good point and I have not done anything to the gun yet, I'm waiting for the repair parts to come in. I agree with your sentiments but this is not in any way shape or fashion a collectible firearm and the owner wants it fixed up and cleaned up to shoot it (if deemed safe to do).

Latest posts