Spring strut compression question Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

George

Blackhawk
Hello, I've got plow handle grip frame question on a 2008 Blackhawk not flat top, plow handle frame. I am looking at the Hammer strut and the spring they are disassembled from each other this unit does have the lock.

If I lay the hammer strut on the table and the spring next to it, the spring is the exact same length as the strut itself. Would this be correct for the strut ?

I compressed the spring and have it retained on the strut with a small nail as they show. It now has it's coils fully compressed, coils touching each other. But does fit.

I counted the coils first and there appears to be 28 coils. And I believe it's supposed to count 26? I think I remember reading that someplace.

Am I good to go or should I remove a coil or two? This plow frame is replacing a bird's head grip frame the plow handle placement is off a 2008 Blackhawk. My 2002 Vaquero that currently has a bird's head grip frame on it from the factory. Again good to go?

Or should I check out the coil spring from the bird's head set up when I pull it from the gun? Thanks! George

PS also would my trigger spring and trigger spring pin fit from my bird's head to my plow handle grip frame? Just trying to line up my ducks before I delve in!

the spring will be compressed with the pin in the hole, thats the idea....seems OK to me but when you install it try it, see how it feels...I would be more concerned with actual ignition being done, and NOT too light , misfires,,,,,,,, 8) :roll: :wink:

never really counted the coils in ALL these years, only ever cut down 1911 to "armorers" match specs, and use 16 or 18 # recoil springs :)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The standard spring is 28 coils on all Ruger single actions not including the Bearcat. Except the New Vaquero and New Model Flattops* which which were introduced with internal locks which have a shorter strut and pin hole location for disassembly. Internal locks were used from 2005 to 2012.

* On these two models only, there was also a hammer spring change from 28 coils to 25 coils that coincided with the introduction of the lock. And the 25 coil spring is still used on those models after the lock was discontinued I believe. This was in response to CAS shooter market demands that resulted in the New Vaq mid-frame size and lighter hammer spring on both NV and FT models. Hence the better feel of their action.

Yes the plow handle and birdshead springs/struts are interchangeable.

I used to cut all my hammer springs to 24 coils. The 28 coils is way too heavy especially in the .22s with their shorter hammers and therefore less leverage. But the .22 rimfires are harder to get reliable ignition, especially the magnums, so 25 or 26 coils is sometimes needed for reliable ignition.

George

Blackhawk
Jim, thank you for your info! Looks like I have a 2008 xr3 red aluminum frame with a lock. At this point not sure if the hammer strut length is correct with that grip frame with an internal lock but do know there's 28 coils on the spring that is now compressed on the strut that came with that 2008 xr3-red aluminum grip frame.

It does fit on the strut that I have. I have intend to swap out. I'll get into taking the gun apart and actually comparing the struts and springs. Provided I have the right strut everything should work. Not sure if I can shorten the strut if it's a little long as again I do have a lock on this grip frame.
Again thank you all , thank you Jim! Your info and information Was amazed as usual. I'll post how I make out when I finally get into this! I know it's not difficult but my 2002 Vaquero with birdshead is the Davidsons gun and I know it's worth more untouched, unfired. But then again I'll have the original grip frame and another one to go with the gun if I sell it so I don't think it'll hurt the value. Oh yes can't have a gun that's not fired. I'll take care of that too in time!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The strut you must use with the lock is 1.740" and the non-lock strut is 1.950". These are the lengths of the struts just where the spring mounts; from the shoulder the spring mounts against to the bottom end of the strut.

Your birdshead grip does not have a lock therefore uses the longer strut.

You can cut the strut to the right length, but you'd also have to drill a new hole for the disassembly pin. And there lies the problem: the strut metal is so hard you need a cobalt or carbide drill! Instead, I use a Dremel tool with carbide cut off wheel to cut the strut, and a small stone bit to grind a hole thru it. The size of the hole is not critical and does not have to exact.

If you want to cut and drill your strut, you have the correct length above and I'll post the correct distance to the hole if you want it.

You can also remove the lock and not use it, that way the long strut will work. You just need the wider spring seat from Ruger's Bearcat .22 to bridge the space where the lock was. Ruger will send you one free by calling them at (336) 949-5200. Or you can ask for a short spring strut for free.

Recognize Bearcat spring perches install below the pin. And they can be swapped into any Ruger single action for spring testing or permanent use. It's easier to swap springs when you don't have to replace the spring perch each time.

This may help as well for mounting the spring:
3 easy ways to replace hammer spring and spring perch at this site: http://www.cylindersmith.com/Ruger-spring.html

Whichever strut you use, I recommend cutting 4 coils off of the 28 coil spring and you'll love less effort to cock the hammer and slightly lighter trigger pull.

George

Blackhawk
Jim, thank you for the measurement of the strut! I Measured strut that came with the grip frame it is in fact the short strut for the xr3-red grip frame with the lock which I have. I'm may make a floor plate and eliminate the lock and use the strut out of my bird's head grip frame. I don't have a real use for having the lock in there. Though I don't think it would hurt having it in there, it would make it easer and qucker for the swap. I guess without a lock is just more traditional. I will take your advice and definitely use my Dremel and cut 4 coils off that 28 coil spring! Thank you I can't wait to feel the action after this is done. It actually was quite good the way it came from Davison. Extremely clean and fairly light! I will post how I make out! Again thank you! George

George

Blackhawk
Jim, one more question please. When cutting coils off of Hammer strut spring do you cut down from the end of the previous end of cut coil or do you cut across from the end of the previous cut coil. I've heard it both ways. Seems to me if I cut across I'd only be taking off half a coil, no? Want to get this right! Thanks! George

Latest posts