Do I Have A Problem?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sjs

Single-Sixer
I have an old GP100. I can't recall how old, but at least over 20 years for sure. It has had thousands of rounds through it. Mostly 38 sp, but many full power .357. They were within published load data but many were close to max, with heavy for caliber bullets for hunting and for handgun silhouette matches.

I just noticed something and I am not sure if it is new, and a sign of failure, or if it was always there and I didn't notice it. On the star portion of the extractor, looking inside the semicircular parts that hold the cartridge rim, there are longitudinal cracks roughly in the middle of that metal from one tip of the circle to the other. It is on the inside of each semicircle and looks like a seam between two metal parts except it is not a straight seam, but is wiggly.

I have a good photo of it but cannot get the image download to work.

If anyone knows what I am trying to describe and knows whether it is a problem or not I would be grateful for your comments.

You can do several things;

Email you pictures to me (I will PM you) and I can put them on the forum

or, and what I recommend,

Call Ruger customer service and explain it to them and send them the pictures. If it is a defect they will probably have you return the gun to them for repair (and they may very well send you a prepaid label for you to ship it.

Here are the pictures he sent me.

dayBUfoh.jpg

pZYmhK5h.jpg

Without being able to physically see and feel those areas (with a fine point dental pick) I'm not sure if it is a defect of just from the way it is made.

I looked at 6 of my GP100's and six of my Security Sixes and all the extractor stars had marks similiar to these (maybe not as noticeable).

IIRC the extractor/ejector mechanism is made from stamped and machined parts (star is stamped or wateror laser cut) so it could have markings like this.

I suggested that he do contact Ruger to see what they say.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You just never noticed them before.

No worries. Those are typical stamped parts artifact marks. The duller the tool becomes the greater the artifact marks left behind.

There's not stress on the extractor semi-circles to cause any cracking in those areas.

I do find them objectionable to look at however, and they collect crud. I polish them out. In your case I'd use a fine grit polishing wheel of a size close to the diameter of the semi-circles, in a Dremel tool if you have that tool and some skill with it. Or 340 grit paper wrapped around a rat tail file close in diameter. It's not a critical dimension area, hence why they're left there at the factory and why you can remove them w/o concern.

sjs

Single-Sixer
Thank you very much guys. And thank you RoninPA for helping with the pictures. Maybe this will help some future Ruger revolver owner who also wonders about those lines. I did call Ruger and just got off the line. While they also said not to worry, their explanation was far less detailed, clear and helpful than I got from you. It is much appreciated.

"No worries. Those are typical stamped parts artifact marks. The duller the tool becomes the greater the artifact marks left behind."

That's what I'm seeing also.

DHD

Single-Sixer
I will have to use "artifact marks" from now on to describe either factory or self installed blemishes. I can also look in the mirror and notice a few.

Latest posts