Grip frame swap question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Trailduster

Bearcat
I should be picking up my Ruger NM Blackhawk .45 convertible in a couple of days once it gets to the store.

It's a model 10446 with the black rubber grips and it does have the internal lock too.

Is it possible to merely swap out
the grip frame with one from a non lock
Blackhawk along with wood grip panels and a Super Blackhawk hammer?

Been looking for this revolver for awhile and finally found one even though I'm not a fan of the lock and rubber grips.
Went on and got it because .45 B'hawk convertibles with 4 5/8" barrels are getting hard to find these days around here.

Thanks in advance for your help,input and knowledge.

Doug

contender

Ruger Guru
Short answer, yes. The hole pattern for the grip frames is the same across the models.
You may have a slightly imperfect fit,, but in general, for a shooter,, most don't notice or care.
As for the hammer, yes, a Super hammer can be installed. HOWEVER,, occasional fitting may be required.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Is your 45 a flat top Blackhawk?

You have a few choices in grip frames. Locks were used from 2005, and w/o lock after 2012.

The Flat tops come with steel 7/16" XR3 size grip frames. They can be knuckle busters in 45 caliber.

You can get the standard Blackhawk steel or alloy XR3-RED size 1/2" wide, and 1/8" longer behind trigger guard with wood grips, that will also swap onto your gun. I have one of each if you're interested.

You can also swap to the Super Blackhawk longer grip with square back trigger guard. Or the same grip with round trigger guard in stainless.

Trailduster

Bearcat
Hondo44,

The B'hawk I'm getting is a regular
type,not a flat top model.

More than likely,I put either
an early NXR3-RED or late XRN-3RED frame on depending on which one I run across first.

My '74 B'hawk .45 has the NXR3-RED frame and still going strong.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The steel version: Early = A in a square XR-3 (that's XR dash 3), Late = A in circle XR-3, 1 in circle.
These truly help with felt recoil.

This note will help you find correct fitting grip frames: Cyl frame mating surface-to-grip frame ear size dimensions:

The grip frame 'ear' height varies a bit as the frames get newer but there was one specific big increase. To simplify production in about 1998, Ruger began a 1/16" height increase of the standard cylinder frame-to-grip frame mating surfaces on both sides of the hammer to match the Bisley model cyl frames so any style grip frame could be assembled to any main frame. Therefore the 'ears' on the same vintage grip frames had to be made about 1/16" taller as well. So there's basically two sizes: the very earliest is short, .530"- to .560" pre 1998 and the later is the tall .590"-.600" after 1998; measured from the very top edge of the grip panel to the top of the ears. That's why it's important that any acquired grip frame be a similar vintage to the Ruger that you want to put it on. If the ears are too tall for the main frame they can be dressed down to flush, but if too short for the main frame, it's more work to dress down the main frame and blued guns have to be touched up with cold blue.

I have three "no lock" XR3-RED "size" grip frames I can let go which are just about right for your 1974 gun:

Alloy #NXR3-RED, early style with the low ears .560" (pre 1998) - Still factory anodized black, about (95% finish with no fading, but a few small scratches in the finish.) With walnut original worn grips.

Steel #A in a square XR-3, pre 1998 ears .553", 100% original high gloss blue finish. No grips.

Stainless Steel #K in circle and T in circle, post 1998 ear size .602", although likely a bit too tall, the advantage of the stainless grip frame is that the ears can be trimmed flush to your cyl frame w/o needing touch-up bluing. Just match the brushed finish with about 400 grit sandpaper. Factory original brushed finish, 100% condition, no grips.

MODERATOR EDIT: Pricing not taking place in the Classified subforum must be done via the PM system. :)

George

Blackhawk
Hello, just so you know with that Medium grip frame on a 45 Colt that you have or getting will not be a knuckle buster as it's a medium frame gun and can only shoot standed.45 Colt loads! It is quite mild in my opinion I have one with that barrel length in that frame! However if it was a Ruger super Blackhawk, Blackhawk flattop or Ruger Vaquero with the older large frame you would be able to shoot some pretty hefty loads which are Ruger only loads and with the grip frame you're speaking of that would be enough knuckle buster or could be. Not to worry my opinion! Have fun it'll be fine what the standard Colt load even one-handed! George

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Hi George,

Trailduster confirmed above that the BH he's getting is not the Flat Top BH which has the mid size frame, therefore it can only be the large frame .45, which is the same size as the Super BH. It has the larger than Colt XR3-RED size grip frame with 1/8" more clearance behind the trigger guard. And yes will be fine with all .45s including Ruger only loads.

The one with the arrow is what's on his gun. The XR3 size shown is the Colt size grip frame on the mid size FT BH and new Vaqueros:

F-gripsquare3.jpg

Latest posts