Old Model .45 ACP cylinder in large frame Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ctc67

Bearcat
I recently picked up what I believe to be an old model Blackhawk .45 ACP cylinder due to the shorter gas ring. It fits and appears to time up correctly in my large frame 45 Vaquero with the exception of the excessive end shake. What would be the best way to correct this? Shim, having a Colt SAA style bushing fitted, or having the gas ring stretched? Any recommendations on the best way to measure for the shim needed or a gunsmith who could do the gas ring stretching or bushing install? Thank you in advance for any suggestions

you do not have to have a "shim" fitted, you just need to know how much "end play" there is and get the appropriate thickness shim, it slips over the center pin, I recall they run in .002 thickness?? I have NEVER used a shim, nor have we ever had or did a "stretch"...we either 'tinned' the gas seal or welded it up and recut it, a good welder/gunsmith would know exactly what to do..........'when you 'test' and /or measure, make sure you have a cartridge shell in the chamber to do it right...hopefully an UNLOADED case !!!!!! 8) :roll: :wink:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
That is clearly the most original and proper way to do it. However, if I was going to that much effort, it's no more work to install a replaceable gas ring/bushing like the Colt style which can be shimmed internally later on if/when it wears. Albeit not an issue in that cartridge. More potential to need adjustment in the future with 44 Mag and lots of shooting.

I always Tig weld the original gas ring which is one piece with and integral to the cyl, and then fit to the frame window. I never use shims, too much trouble every time the cyl is removed/replaced for cleaning etc. But shims will eliminate the play. You can try super gluing them in place.

To measure; install cyl with 6 cases loaded w/o cyl pin and use a feeler gauge to determine the gap between front of cyl window and front of gas ring. But you don't really need to know that, just try shims until the play is gone or fit the new gas ring once installed in cyl, or welded old gas ring by filing then honing and keeping the surface flat and square to the axis/front cyl face.

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
I have a 41 mag with excessive end shake and am currently using shims to correct the issue. The shim creates a new issue, excessive cylinder gap and tighter headspace. I would like to have a more permanent solution and have looked at the Bowen part. I have also looked at the ratchet bushing that David Clements shows on his website.

My concern is if I use the Bowen bushing I would then need to have the barrel setback to fix the cylinder gap. If I push the cylinder forward until it contacts the frame the cylinder gap closes to an acceptably tight specification. This leads me to think the issue is at the rear of the cylinder rather than the front.

DHD

Single-Sixer
rkrcpa said:
I have a 41 mag with excessive end shake and am currently using shims to correct the issue. The shim creates a new issue, excessive cylinder gap and tighter headspace. I would like to have a more permanent solution and have looked at the Bowen part. I have also looked at the ratchet bushing that David Clements shows on his website.

My concern is if I use the Bowen bushing I would then need to have the barrel setback to fix the cylinder gap. If I push the cylinder forward until it contacts the frame the cylinder gap closes to an acceptably tight specification. This leads me to think the issue is at the rear of the cylinder rather than the front.

I have a 4 5/8" SS Super with this issue. FWIW, I have used a TriggerShims shim at the rear and it works fine for one shooting/cleaning session. They tend to take on the ratchet shape and don't like to be reused....

I plan to steal Hondo's idea of a drop of super glue to hold one on during reassembly of the cylinder. Trying to slide a shim into the rear with the cylinder already installed is not entertaining. This particular Ruger is the only one I have that has this much float. With a shim at the rear, it didn't create excessive headspace and fires and functions perfectly but is admittedly a temporary solution.

DHD

Single-Sixer
Sorry for the continued hijack OP. I tried Hondo's suggestion of a tiny spot of superglue on the ratchet in 3 places and made sure a .002" shim was flat. No more bad language was heard while putting the cylinder back in and trying to slide a shim in.

TriggerShims sells a large and a small size shim for Ruger Blackhawks and I use the small as it doesn't get in the way of the pawl. Not a permanent solution by any measure but it helps with the slop and keeps the barrel cylinder gap snug.