How to recolor ruger pc4 carbine stock ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I have a ruger pc4 carbine I think the stock is made of the same thing that the world famous paddle stocks are made of .My paddle stock rifle stock and the ruger pc4 carbine both turned a off white milky color .I kept them both in a case no sunshine did this .Is there a kinda paint to recolor the stock with ? The stock looks really weird this milky color like it's super old .The rifle looked brand new when I got it 6.Its one of the weirdest things I have ever happen .Maybe they just know I don't like these plastic stocks !

My M-77 MKII boat paddle stock was turning grayish with age. I used regular Vaseline which made it look better. Apply it with a clean cloth like shoe polish. Rub it in and wipe off the extra.

Even though the stocks are a polymer material, they CAN be Cerakoted any color you want. I have been Cerakoting polymer framed/stocked firearms for over 8 years and if the person who is applying the Cerakote does what they are suppose to, the frame/stock will come out fine and the color will last for a long, long time (if not abused).

I will edit this post with some examples of what I have done in the past tomorrow.

Polymer rifle stocks and framed handguns that have been Cerakoted
WCIZyWjh.jpg

22MqG5Sh.jpg

BbrpRsAh.jpg

CPAT97hh.jpg

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Krylon Fusion spray paint should work. It is designed to stick to plastics. I have used it on various different brands of synthetic stocks. You can use it it straight or use it as a base coat then go over with any other type of spray can of your choosing. I really like rustoleum multicolored textured in the aged iron color.

dgr416

Single-Sixer
This pc4 carbine was like brand new when I got it and stayed in the case all of the time .The 77 paddle stock was the same way . They look 50 years old after they turn this color .I am debating selling this pc4 carbine but don't want to ruin the value by painting it .I sold the paddle stock .If I keep it I might paint it that green color looks awesome .I was afraid to ruin the collectors value but it looks so bad this color .It must react to gun cases or something .

06dilly

Single-Sixer
I've had really good success keeping my Zytel Skeleton stocks fresh by hand buffing them with gun oil. I use M-Pro 7 mainly because the smell of Hoppes gets me kicked out of the house. I've bought some that were quite white and while they didn't come out totally factory fresh, it was a huge improvement and seemed to arrest the decline.

Just please do not Cerakote or spray paint a Skeleton stocked Ruger, please. They are not that plentiful and it will kill collector value. Sell it to a collector and you will likely get more than enough money to buy a better shooting, more comfortable replacement... and have money left over for ammo! These are odd guns, will kill your shoulder in the original configuration but have really strong collector value.

Just my two cents worth.

TomD

powder smoke said:
Plastic is for toys not guns! YMMV. ps

that is what Mr Ruger told some of us years ago, when asked about the material used in his "hard rubber" grips........ actually it is "plasticized rubber",,,,rubber that is 'hardened'.....He said" plastic is for cap guns, we ,like Colt use 'rubber'...."and he did on the early RST's it was called..... 'butaprene' :wink:
I would bet any oil or even 'Armorall' would darken (refresh) and shine up the stocks.
8) :roll: :wink: