Refinishing OEM Winchester Walnut Stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AR-Trvlr

Bearcat
I just picked up a new Winchester 1892 that has fantastic wood, but the factory finish doesn't do it justice. The biggest problem is the open pores, but I'd also like more gloss.

Any guesses what the finish is, or advice on how I should refinish it? It appears to be an oil finish, but hard to tell. I was thinking a Tru-Oil finish - I've done one before on an unfinished stock that came out great.

pMN4sJC.jpg

KT7udty.jpg

in0pM1T.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Your pictures are huge & I wasn't able to easily see things.

But,, if I were to look at a restoration or refinishing project,, maybe a call to Turnbull Restorations,, or Tyler Gun Works can get you good information.

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
The problem is, when you fill in the pores you also fill in the checkering. I suppose you could tape over the checkering, but I'm no expert.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Aside from the open pores It looks really nice . I would try several successive coats of a good quality paste wax. Give it a couple of days to thoroughly harden between coats .
Might be enough to get it lookin right and its not too drastic.

woodsy

Blackhawk
If it is a factory-new rifle, made recently, it's probably a catalyzed polyurethane finish. Very durable and easy to apply at the factory, but impractical for an individual to use, partly because the finish is normally supplied in 55 gallon containers, and hazardous to boot. What you want is something which will adhere to the existing finish and fill that grain. Gonna be a lot of work, with sanding after each new coat. Many woodworking supply distributors (like Woodcraft) have stuff which could be used. I'd just leave it alone. Or buy a replacement stock.