High polish work on stainless steel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have a brushed stainless steel cylinder. Is there anyone on this forum that can do a high polish finish on it? I'd like to use it with one of my Vaqueros and would like the finishes to match.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
How bout YOU !
That sounds rude but it really is that easy .
Go to the auto parts store and get some "Mothers Mag Polish " . Small Jar , couple of bucks.
Pull the cylinder , get some rags , put a good movie on the TV and start rubbing .
You will be done before the movie is over.

Okay, sounds easy enough. I did that on an old Tom Kuhn aluminum yo-yo but didn't know how easy it was with brushed stainless steel. (All I know is how hard it is to drill a hole through stainless steel!).

yes, but the surface is relatively 'soft' thats why they scratch so easily AND polish so "nicely".....knock yourself out , soft rags and microfiber clothes are your friends...... 8) :roll: :wink:

nice thing is if you ever want it brush finish again, 3M scotchbrite pads will replicate the factory finish, again, with little or no effort..... :roll:

wish I had ONE penny for every stainless part I polished in the past 60 years of working on guns....... :shock:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
rugerguy said:
yes, but the surface is relatively 'soft' thats why they scratch so easily AND polish so "nicely".....knock yourself out , soft rags and microfiber clothes are your friends...... 8) :roll: :wink:

nice thing is if you ever want it brush finish again, 3M scotchbrite pads will replicate the factory finish, again, with little or no effort..... :roll:

wish I had ONE penny for every stainless part I polished in the past 60 years of working on guns....... :shock:

Dan's right, aluminum is easy to polish but it's also quick to oxidize, unless coated with some protective coating. Still though, about the only finish that will be easily applied is a "glass bead basted" surface using glass beads involving glass beads in around the #320 size and a medium blast pressure from your air compressor, which will provide a nice soft luster on the metals surface.