Ejectector rod housing for studded barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

338reddog

Single-Sixer
I need a Ejector rod housing and screw for a studded barrel. I was wondering if a non studded housing could be modified? I know the screw is different, but thought maybe possible to use a different screw and some work to make up an assembly.
I know there is a steel replacement and will consider that but read some reviews that say fit is not very good.
Or if you know where I can get an original assembly that would be appreciated
Jeff

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The short answer is yes! You can drill out a standard housing for the larger stud screw. The underneath hole must be enlarged to fit over the stud. The outside hole must be enlarged to .250" to fit the large stud screw cap (1/4"). But don't start drilling that hole with a 1/4" drill. Start with a smaller drill and keep enlarging the hole with larger drills in small increments for the neatest results.

But here's additional background and options:

1.) The housings for the studded barrel were made in steel and alum alloy. They both require a 6 x

2.) The attachment screw thread size is 6x40 with studded barrels with a .245" diameter cap. Early small caliber Rugers and all current Rugers except the Bearcat has a 8x36 thread for barrel w/o stud, and a .217" diameter cap. The Ruger Bearcat has a 6x40 screw thread and a .217" screw thread.

3.) So you have a other options besides the easiest of obtaining the correct housing as contender suggested, if you can't find one. You can still get the large cap correct screw from Ruger for free just by asking for it at the parts dept.: (336) 949-5200.

You can also use a currently available standard alloy or steel ejector housing, but use the Bearcat screw. You only have to drill the underneath hole large enough to fit over the stud. Don't drill bigger than the Bearcat screw cap or the screw will fall right thru!

Hope this helps,