Color case-hardened finish

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I like the color case-hardened finish on one of my Henry Big Boy lever actions and was thinking of picking up a Vaquero with a color case-hardened cylinder frame. I've read some comments that Ruger did not execute that very well and some owners were not pleased with the longevity with the finish. Was this mostly on their original Vaqueros only or also on their New Vaqueros? If there was a problem, does it remain a problem if the owners keeps it covered with a layer of oil when not in use (like any blued gun should be)? Also, is there a reason why the barrel and grip frames are not done in the same finish, or was it done to just tip the hat to an "old west" style in appearance. I would like to get a New Vaquero birdshead 357Mag in all-blued, but it seems Ruger does not offer that (or at least I've never seen one for sale on GB). Thanks in advance for any comments!

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
True , Rugers case colors were applied chemically (think painted on) and came off quite easy if the gun got used.
Why just a frame ? In the old days case colors were not done as an appearance thing but to infuse carbon and make the receiver harder and wear resistant. Color happened to be a byproduct. Barrels and gripframes did not need it and did not get it.
Look for a series Bobbie Tyler did a few years ago called "The Dude" .
Not cheap but it should cover all the bases for you and has first class , real deal color case hardening not paint on stuff.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes me not want a color case- "hardened" finish now because it seems fake, which is not (or should not) be a driving characteristic of these guns. The story about it being a by-product of the production process sounds cool, but very much anti-cool to do it otherwise. Now to find a blued version!... seems too many color case Vaqueros for sale instead of all-blued.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
As you look at this with a different eye don't lay all the blame at Rugers feet.
I have never seen a imported Italian clone gun done with genuine color case hardening either . . They all use fancy words like case color but it is not a hardening process.
In the middle somewhere is a cyanide process that has true colors ,,,but different, more like waves. Think H&R Handi Rifle .

Roger that. So suppose I don't throw the baby out with the bath water and just accept it as it is. Would you say that a color case finish on a Ruger Vaquero would hold up to general use? Supposing I wanted to intentionally use a leather holster to get some character wear around the muzzle and cylinder. I guess that might go well with the CC finish, then. The issue I have with my S&W blued revolvers is that I tend to handle them with kid gloves too much so I don't wreck the finish since I only use them at the range. I can see how a routinely holstered CC Vaquero might surprise me with its own attitude. Is this how most guys enjoy theirs?

Johnnu2

Hunter
I could be wrong, but I believe that the Uberti El Patron has real CCH.... here's a picture and a review that mentions the CCH....

https://www.range365.com/uberti-cattleman-1873-el-patron-revolver-review/

IMHO,
J.

you need to do your homework and look up the differences of 'case color" and case color hardening.....way too much to try and type up here, in so short a space....LOTS to the process and the metallurgy of the metals involved in the various guns you speak of.......... 8) :roll: :wink:

Happy New Year !

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
seasterl said:
So suppose I don't throw the baby out with the bath water and just accept it as it is. Would you say that a color case finish on a Ruger Vaquero would hold up to general use? Supposing I wanted to intentionally use a leather holster to get some character wear around the muzzle and cylinder. I guess that might go well with the CC finish, then. The issue I have with my S&W blued revolvers is that I tend to handle them with kid gloves too much so I don't wreck the finish since I only use them at the range. I can see how a routinely holstered CC Vaquero might surprise me with its own attitude. Is this how most guys enjoy theirs?

You will be the final arbitrator of how well it holds up . And you know what sort of wear and tear,,, or not , they will be subjected too .
No finish short of stainless has any permanence to it if subjected to use. A pristine finish is the realm of safe queens and to a lessor degree gently used range guns.

Extreme use will show on either blue or case colored in equal amounts, can't be helped .
Top gun was blue , bottom case colored , They earned every scar with no clear winner in finish durability.

413535250.jpg

Often the "colors" will have a clear lacquer finish to protect it and if cleaned off may be subject to rust. That is what happened here so the frame got buffed and a quick rub of rust blue added a thin skin of patina . Meh , back in business .

414426914.jpg

Then there is fading and even real case colors can fade after a while.

With this Italian P Jr. the yellows and blues have faded leaving kind of Appaloosa grey blotches . Not what it started with but I'm fine with that.
414483708.jpg

Moral of the story ?
Preserve them in a safe or have fun with them and fix em later if they need it ,,,,,or not.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
From my perspective, it's really hard to beat the color-case hardening that Doug Turnbull and his crew turn out.
Most appropriate on Colt Single Action Army revolvers and Winchester lever action rifles, for my liking.

Johnnu2

Hunter
SGW... I agree, the Turnbull work is indeed the real stuff.... I did ask Uberti if the CCH on their El Patron was a chemical application; their answer was that yes, it is a chemical application and not the traditional bone and charcoal heat treatment etc. I happen to have an ElPatron and find the CCH to APPEAR fantastic so, I was surprised at their response. Here's my real Turnbull example:

Thanks, guys, for the extremely helpful comments. That's just what I needed to hear to help me determine if (how) a CC-finished Ruger could fit in my collection. I appreciate the pics, too,... and special thanks to needsmostuff for the pics and commentary. I needed that!

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
You got it Amigo.
Glad if it helped.
Honest wear on a Single Action is nothing to fear,,,, They are in fact tools.
Down here in the borderlands the rule of "Caca Pasa" can make it happen quick.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Look at some of Bobby Tylers case hardening on Rugers also. Top notch in his field also and a member here I think?

...as noted above, I too would check with Bobby as he does the Henry rifles for the CCH...and best chance of getting YOUR Ruger handgun to match...he's done some for us and its a GREAT job, as with Turnbull they use a temperature control to the finish is "case color" but not hardened as such as , as the RUger handguns are a casting of 4140 chrome moly ( a complex metal alloy) and thus it will NOT hardened or the metal becomes "brittle" and can crumble,,,,,,we seen that happen over the years 8) :roll: :wink:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Johnnu2 said:
SGW... I agree, the Turnbull work is indeed the real stuff.... I did ask Uberti if the CCH on their El Patron was a chemical application; their answer was that yes, it is a chemical application and not the traditional bone and charcoal heat treatment etc. I happen to have an ElPatron and find the CCH to APPEAR fantastic so, I was surprised at their response. Here's my real Turnbull example:

That revolver is absolutely "STUNNING"! A Blackhawk with 4 5/8 barrel in .45 Colt caliber, done by Turnbull, along with real ivory grip panels is on my "bucket list". Hope it will turn out as fantastic as yours did.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thank you SGW.... Just to give credit where credit is due, David Clements did his 'tune up' work on this gun; he installed his Bisley hammer, and flat-toped the frame; then he sent it to Turnbull. The grips were from Scott Kolar (a member here). The 'donor gun' came MANY years ago from Splitz with a functioning extra (though not original) 45 ACP cylinder. I've shot many rounds thru it and carried it to hunting camps in Colo. on several occasions. Lots of sentiment in that old horse.
Thanks again,
J.

George

Blackhawk
It's my understanding that Ruger had a first-run case color and a second run case color that is better than the first I don't know or don't remember what the years are. But I know mine is the second run on a Case colored Ruger Vaquero and it is a 2002 made gun and has the somewhat better case coloring on it. It is a good-looking finish. My finish is holding up so far! My two cents worth! George

71shooter

Single-Sixer
I like the look Turnbull's CCH. I don't like the look of Tyler's CCH. To each his own. However, unless you are a smith and can disassemble and prep parts yourself, Turnbull won't touch your Ruger unless it is brand new. That really sux. Turnbull's prices are also quite high. I like Tyler's bluing and other custom options though. Just wish their CCH caught my eye.

wdodd

Bearcat
A friend had a long-time career with Ruger, the last many years as director/manager of national sales.
Upon acquiring my case-colored 1997 Vaquero a few years ago, he told me to "BE SURE AND KEEP IT WELL OILED" or the coloring will fade. Complaints from customers is what lead the company to cease that offering.