Ruger mark II model 77 control feed stainless 264 jammed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I have never had this happen .I had my ruger stainless mark II model 77 hunting .I put three in the magazine then put one in the chamber .I could not close the bolt when it was all the way to the back it got about to the magazine and totally stopped .I opened the magazine and I guess tricked it to close by pushing on something on the bottom of the bolt . It did it there times same way .I shot deer and it did it again .I took it home and lubed the bolt and the ejector blade .I am still not sure what stopped the bolt .It did it with the magazine open so it's not that either .I love hunting with this rifke but can't have it doing this

I can only offer an opinion based on use of both 98 Mauser and 03 Springfield.
On a "controlled feed" rifle, closing the bolt on a pre-chambered round MAY be problematic. On the old military rifles, it was not kosher to attempt this although applying pressure to the rear portion of the extractor would usually allow the extractor hook to snap over the case rim. Probably not the case on a normal hunting rifle but I have seen badly worn Mausers display all sorts of malfunctions caused by the extractor moving around on the bolt during cycling.