Mark III Target - Mag release

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
I can not get the factory mag out of my Mark III target. Pressing the mag release button does no good, button moves but the mag is firmly held. When I fired it in Nov it worked fine, handling 5 different mags. Have no idea what happened. Help please ?

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Have you tried opening the bolt all the way and then using your thumb to press down on the offending magazine as you hit the Mag Release Button? Works for me some times. Changing magazines when this happens may help

06dilly

Single-Sixer
I'd take the grips off, pull the bolt back as AZ said and then work it from every spot you can touch it. Something is sticking out. Fortunately those mags are easy to replace so if you damage it, not a big deal. Good luck with it.

One note, I use plastic tools and punches for almost everything I do. Makes it less likely to scratch or create damage.

TomD

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
^^^^ Good question. Even still though, you should be able to pull the bolt back, press in the release button and then grab the base of the magazine and forcefully remove it.

If the grip screws used are too long it would then even be hard to insert the magazine, even a magazine dedicated for that Model.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Test Engineer sent this message to me so that it would help you:

There's a thread in the gunsmithing forum over there about a stuck magazine. Maybe you can post a suggestion for me? I think it's likely his barrel has shifted forward. That will pinch the mag in place between the frame behind the trigger and the front of the cross bar on the receiver.

All he needs to do is tap the muzzle with a plastic hammer to free up the mag.

Thanks!!
TE

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
Thanks folks, talked to Ruger this morning, got an RMA and its now with FedEx for Ruger to fix. Will be interesting to see what they say.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Cherokee said:
Thanks folks, talked to Ruger this morning, got an RMA and its now with FedEx for Ruger to fix. Will be interesting to see what they say.

Good idea! I wouldn't trust ANYTHING that Test_Engineer put out. If he said it was Friday, it's best to check for yourself.

He's the same one who posted that after a whole bunch of work, that he finally made his Ruger Mark III pistol "frictionless". He sure caught a bunch of flack for that one. :shock:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Another thing to contemplate, of which the Faux_Engineer didn't consider or know about. The bolt stop pin at the top of the mainspring housing assembly is what qualifies alignment of the upper to the grip frame, preventing forward or backward movement of the barreled receiver.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Most here probably already know about this procedure to align the upper receiver bolt stop pin hole with the grip frame bolt stop pin hole, but I haven't seen or read anything here so far. So, to help the engineer out, once again, here's a picture:

IcStn6Nl.jpg

Once the upper is replaced on the grip frame, use the bolt stop pin on the mainspring housing assembly to align those holes like in the above picture. Once done you have the best way of alignment that you can achieve. The upper to the lower will be perfectly aligned forward and backward and then left to right.
After that verification, its a simple matter to install the bolt stop pin up through the bottom and a bit through the top of the receiver.