CLP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jimd441

Blackhawk
I'm sure this has been discussed but my search came up empty. What CLP do you like or dislike, or do you use any? I was a Hoppes #9 and oil guy for many years. A couple of years ago someone suggested that I try a CLP and recommended Eez Ox. I'm about to finish my second can and have been happy but would like any insight anyone has.

Thanks,

Jim

recumbent

Buckeye
I use Hoppes #9 mixed 50/50 with marvel mystery oil. Works great. I used to mix 50/50 with Kroil but Kroil got to exspensive so I tried MMO and it works the same. I bought a bottle of CLP it's still 1/2 full after 4 years. I use my Hoppes mix....

jimd441

Blackhawk
Thanks for the replies,

I suppose it is like taking a shower. What soap you use is not nearly as important as the fact that you actually do shower.

Jim

DHD

Single-Sixer
Jim, I've been using Eezox for 15 years or so. Been through many large spray cans for maintenance of stuff that stays outside. I'm not sure there is a better product for rust prevention. I don't consider it a lubricant really as I prefer a heavier oil or light grease for that purpose. Regardless, Eezox is a product I won't be without.

I don't use "CLP" as a cleaner but use it liberally for lubricating. It seems to keep the internal fouling that results from using suppressors soft and reduces the related stoppages.

jimd441

Blackhawk
Thanks again for all the information. I found a tube of Otis 085 CLP in the bottom of the bag where I keep miscellaneous gun cleaning stuff. It came with one of those Otis gun cleaning kits I bought some years ago but I never used it, and honestly I forgot about it. I tried it and really like it as it works well and has little to no odor.

Jim

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
jimd441 said:
Thanks for the replies,

I suppose it is like taking a shower. What soap you use is not nearly as important as the fact that you actually do shower.

Jim

Good point! But it also depends on WHERE you're at as to the type of soap you actually use. For example, if you're in prison, don't use liquid soap, it takes too long to pick up. Bad ju-ju.

I used Break Free CLP for many, many years, until I discovered EEZOX. It's like that "hot sauce" commercial, "I put the sh*t on everything".