40 S&W cylinder to 38-40?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

29aholic

Single-Sixer
Dos Vaqueros said:
They are Vaqueros

Should work then. 38-40 is not a real high pressure round anyway. I would check the size of the throats first. If the factory throats are oversized I would not spend the money.

contender

Ruger Guru
Not a huge number of Ruger SA's in .40 S&W caliber.
I'd leave any of them, "as shipped". But if I wanted a 38-40 cal cylinder,, I'd opt for a .357 mag cylinder bored out as an addition. Going to ream one anyway,, why not use a more common cylinder & preserve the original one?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Excellent advice from contender!

Plenty of cylinders available at on-line auctions. Just look for one with an overall cyl length as long or longer than your cyl. Too short takes welding to fit to your frame.

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
Also check the gap at the recoil shield. If it's more than .060" it won't headspace on the rim.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Quite a cartridge. Converted this .357 to .38-40, a few years ago. A simple conversion, not by one of 'the famous' and no frills, just a great shooter.

orig.jpg

I've dressed it in steel grip frame with steel ejector housing and thinned the grips
orig.jpg

SBH grooved trigger:
orig.jpg

With return spring shelf web contoured to the trigger guard:
orig.jpg

It has the tight chambers, throats and b/c gap on the large Ruger frame that can take advantage of the .38-40 Magnum 'Ruger Only' loads.

.38-40 Magnums and the guns for them by LEE MARTIN
http://www.singleactions.com/files/3840WinchesterArticle.pdf

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
contender said:
Not a huge number of Ruger SA's in .40 S&W caliber.
I'd leave any of them, "as shipped". But if I wanted a 38-40 cal cylinder,, I'd opt for a .357 mag cylinder bored out as an addition. Going to ream one anyway,, why not use a more common cylinder & preserve the original one?
this is good advice!

tyler4656

Blackhawk
It works great guys we've done several I'm actually working on one now. Thanks again, Bobby Tyler

Latest posts