Gunsmithing Ruger Single Actions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BBOB662

Bearcat
I just bought a current production RUGER BISLEY FLATTOP 44 SPECIAL, MDL #: 5236. Is the cylinder heat treated to enable it to be reamed to fire 44 Magnum loads?
I have 1000 rds of HSM, Cowboy Action, .44 mag, SWC Hardcast, 240 Grain cartridges left after trading my magnum that I'd like to use if possible.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
meshugunner said:
I am just getting started on this gunsmithing thing. Right now I pay other people to do trigger jobs for me...Thank you.

Indeed, if the only thing tech manuals (such as Jerry's books) are used for is so that a novice like me understands when to STOP and get the machine to a professional; then it is worth the price!

ThreeEyedWilly

Bearcat
The you tube videos from Randall Power/Grand Master - Power Custom are extremely helpful. Not only that, but if you have a problem, you can call them.

mwhite49

Bearcat
I just tried to purchase it on Amazon. Their head is in the sand, since is says 2 volumes they wanted to charge me double. Just ordered from Midway.
Great books

ElrodCod

Single-Sixer
BBOB662 said:
I just bought a current production RUGER BISLEY FLATTOP 44 SPECIAL, MDL #: 5236. Is the cylinder heat treated to enable it to be reamed to fire 44 Magnum loads?
I have 1000 rds of HSM, Cowboy Action, .44 mag, SWC Hardcast, 240 Grain cartridges left after trading my magnum that I'd like to use if possible.

That's a medium frame gun. Best to stick to 44 specials in that one. If you want a magnum you should buy one.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Bisley is on large frame I believe. Vaquero to be more specific.

The 44 Special is only made on the New Vaquero (and Flattop Blackhawk) mid-frame, (although the 44 special is only marked Vaquero w/o the "NEW" because they weren't made on the original Vaquero large frame, so it's not a new version of an earlier 44 Spl model). Therefore not recommended or safe to ream it to shoot 44 Mag.

Although all the cyls are heat treated, they can be reamed and w/o having to re-heat treat them.

The Cowboy 44 Mag is relatively mild and doesn't approach the maximum 44 Mag pressure limit. So If you can obtain the pressure they're loaded to from the manufacturer, compare it to the maximum 44 Special pressure max which is 15,500. (Even though you can stretch that to 20,000 in a Ruger), I doubt that even the 44 Mag Cowboy loads will be that low of a pressure. Plus you'll have a cylinder that someone else might stick in and shoot full load 44 Mags! So a very bad idea, although I know it's been done by some.

Last edited:

AK375DGR

USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engr's VietNam 69-71---SFi
Ok, here's alittle bit of work I did, back a couple yrs ago now, and all is still as it should be,,,,, Shoots Lights Out, currently sighted in @ 25 yards,,,,, ie.... my Red Zone, which = Pulling the Trigger,,,,, if and when it's needed..... :ninja:

Attachments

• LJ's Ruger SBH Bisley-Hunter Gun-Fighter_Grips 003.jpg
    LJ's Ruger SBH Bisley-Hunter Gun-Fighter_Grips 003.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 78
  • LJ's Ruger SBH Bisley-Hunter Gun-Fighter_Grips 008.jpg
    LJ's Ruger SBH Bisley-Hunter Gun-Fighter_Grips 008.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 76
  • LJ's Ruger SBH-Bisley Hunter (1).JPG
    LJ's Ruger SBH-Bisley Hunter (1).JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 72
  • LJ's Ruger SBH-Bisley Hunter (2).jpg
    LJ's Ruger SBH-Bisley Hunter (2).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 73
  • LJ's Ruger SBH-Bisley Hunter Work-Over 2021 (3).jpg
    LJ's Ruger SBH-Bisley Hunter Work-Over 2021 (3).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 68
  • LJ's Ruger SBH-Bisley Hunter.jpg
    LJ's Ruger SBH-Bisley Hunter.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 73
  • LJ's Ruger SBH Bisley-Hunter Keith Style Locking Base-Pin.jpg
    LJ's Ruger SBH Bisley-Hunter Keith Style Locking Base-Pin.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 75
  • LJ's RUGER SBH Bisley .44Mag.png
    LJ's RUGER SBH Bisley .44Mag.png
    123.1 KB · Views: 75
Ok, here's alittle bit of work I did, back a couple yrs ago now, and all is still as it should be,,,,, Shoots Lights Out, currently sighted in @ 25 yards,,,,, ie.... my Red Zone, which = Pulling the Trigger,,,,, if and when it's needed..... :ninja:
that looks just like what my older Brothers wants to have done to his 41 mag Hunter, did you do the work yourself ? or send it to some one ?

AK375DGR

that looks just like what my older Brothers wants to have done to his 41 mag Hunter, did you do the work yourself ? or send it to some one ?
Hawk, Yea did all of the work myself, less the Mag-na-Porting and Front-Sight Cut-in, as well as cutting the Bbl and re-crowning accordingly, this was all done while at Mag-na-Port, take a look at my attachment Write-up...... :ninja:

Yoter

Bearcat
The book by Jerry Kuhnhausen on "Ruger Single Action Revolvers Volumes 1 & 2" is an excellent shop manual. Midway had the best price.

Larry Crow's DVD, "Ruger Vaquero Dissassembly, Reassembly, Cleaning and Maintenence" is another good reference along with AGI's DVD, "Technical Manual & Armorer's Course on Ruger Single Action Revolvers"..

AK375DGR

Yea,,,,, I've seen that Video, it's pretty good,,,, but I've got the "RUGER SA Bible, with Photos" Written by Ron Power..... :cool: