Ruger American AR-15 mag well conversion to AICS mags

Help Support Ruger Forum:

71shooter

Single-Sixer
The Ruger American predator I just bought uses AR-15 mags. Is it true that Ruger will sell me a replacement AICS magwell, and I could then use their proprietary 223/204 Ruger AICS mags, which allow 2.5" OAL? I'm worried that the action or bolt might be configured in such a way that the 223 AICS mags won't be compatible.
Thanks

71shooter

Single-Sixer
loaded round said:
Why not call Ruger Customer Service and get your answer ''right from the horse's mouth'' as they say?

The horse was not very helpful. Ruger customer service said that they did not know if the AICS magwell swap would work or not, as they have not tested it. I can buy the magwell conversion, but they said I can't return it if it doesn't work. I think the lady on the phone may not have been very knowledgeable on the subject, and gave me the quickest judicious answer she could come up with. That's why I came here to ask you Ruger sages! :D

recumbent

Buckeye
Do you have an aics mag?
If you do take the mag well cover off your rifle and see if the aics mag will fit in the stock. If it does it should work. I think the bolts are the same bur not positive. I can't see Ruger having two different machining operations given the price point on these rifles.

71shooter

Single-Sixer
recumbent said:
Do you have an aics mag?
If you do take the mag well cover off your rifle and see if the aics mag will fit in the stock. If it does it should work. I think the bolts are the same bur not positive. I can't see Ruger having two different machining operations given the price point on these rifles.

I don't have an AICS mag. The conversion kit is only about $30 shipped, and a mag is $40. I guess I won't be losing my shirt if it doesn't work, and I can add some knowledge to the forum either way.

Ethang

Blackhawk
that is the flush mount magazine? I thought I read somewhere that the quality was not good in those but I could totally be mistaken. I am curious how well this will work though. That sloppy fitting AR magazine is one of the things that is bothersome in the 350 Legend Ranch I picked up last fall. A flush mount mag would be nicer.

71shooter

Single-Sixer
Well, I ordered the AICS mag well today. $26 shipped to Colorado. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. For what it's worth, this rifle feeds and ejects ammo like greasy sausage, and the mags have no issues being seated. They also fall right out when you want them too. The barrel is nicely/fully freefloated with a couple of dollar bills clearance between the stock and barrel. I haven't shot it yet, but initial build quality seems good compared to most Ruger Americans I've handled.